Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ambystoma mavortium breeding

P

paul

Hello,

I got my first ambystoma mavortium in 2000, but during the first years I kept them at an ambient temperature in winter in my bedroom,

november 2002 I let them outside, they were in good health and I had fed them a lot during the year,

I live in the north of France and sometimes temperature goes under -10 °C so I put a wool blanket on the terrarium thus they were protected from the cold and they were in the dark ( I think it's important), I think they spent 3 weeks between 2 and 5°C

In March 2003, I cleaned the terrarium, changed the oak leaves litter, and changed the rainwater, the temperature of the water was approximatively 10 °C, I put the salamanders in the water and then they bred...

The most difficult part is to feed the young larvae, finding little daphnias is not always easy.

For the substrate I use oak leaves litter, because I think it's very natural and it is lighter for me when I want to move the terrarium, I think that oak leaves in the water is good, I don't know how to explain it is something chemical maybe.. It's like in the forests for me...

Paul.

A

alan

Could you tell us how many animals are in the terrarium? Isn't one of the spawning triggers for this species supposed to be group congregation at the spawning sites?

P

paul

hello alan,

this year I wanted a breeding of mavortium then I put only a male and a female,

in 2003 and 2004 they were 3 males and 2 females.
( 3 melanostictum males and 2 mavortium females)

this year a friend of mine gave me a mavortium male, they are difficult to find here in France fortunately now I breed them.

G

grant

Wow congratulations on your successful breeding. I know someone over here that has bred tiger sals a few times in central California. He has tanks similar to the one paul showed. He has them in a cold "garage" like area. I will try to get him on this forum to talk about it.

P

paul

Hello from France,

new photos today !

Yesterday I had the time...

the terrarium with its water part, I did not change the water since the breeding, the water became green...

37942.jpg

My mavortium male, it was given to me by a good friend of mine, this year the breeding is 100 % mavortium, I hope the youngs to have beautiful colors...

37943.jpg

The "couple of the year"...

37944.jpg

My two females !

37945.jpg

Feeding time, I give them pieces of heart of beef, sometimes with the fingers !

37946.jpg

37947.jpg

A young female born in 2003, in the litter of dead oak leaves and beech (I'm not sure of the word, it is Fagus sylvatica)

37948.jpg

M

mark

Looks great Paul. You want to watch those fingers. Have you ever tried your maculatum in a similar set-up out doors?

P

paul

Hello Mark,

My maculatum are juveniles for the moment (they are hard to find in France, i think the ones I own come from Germany)

Once they are adult, I'll put them in a similar set up, It should work !

M

mark

I have some adults I'll try with next year after overwintering in an outbuilding. Unfortunatley they are far more timid than mavortium and don't like being disturbed. We'll see what happens...

P

paul

My maculatum are very timid too ! they are always hidden under the moss or barks and I can't feed them with the forceps or fingers, they grow slowly...but with time and patience...

W

william

i'm going to use a similar method for my opacum, i'll keep them in a substrate of leaves and moss for the summer then put them together for the autumn in a firmer substrate.

C

christian

I have seen your juveniles in Tilburg, and I think they look great!!

I have five Mavortium's . and I would like to try breeding with them, in a similar setup or in my outdoor enclosure, and I hope it will work!

Thank you for taking a look at my tigers.

regards Christian

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!