Ambystoma tigrinum: successful breeding

MarioR

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Thanks Jan, I'll try to take some showable photos ;)

Metamorphosis goes on.
Pictures from this morning:

see you,

Mario

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How did I miss this thread?! Amazing success and wonderful larvae, congratulations.

If your cb tiger salamanders don't get entered into our photo competition I will cry...;)

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
I echo Mark's sentiments....and you REALLY need to enter the calendar photo competition Mario.

MarioR

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Thanks guys, your posts mean a lot to me!
I took some quite acceptable photos of my larvae and some other Ambystomatids in the meantime :proud:

To get back to topic again:

The gills are disappearing very fast, pictures from yesterday:

and today, the gills nearly completely vanished:

Later this morning this little guy also decided to leave the water:

After 97 days the first tiger salamander entered the land area after only 5 days of morphing!

cheers,
Mario

MarioR

Reaction score
Country
Germany
That's how it looks like right now:

13 metamorphs measuring 12-15cm (~5-6"), another 4 are about to leave water next days.

Greetings,
Mario

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
Excellent!!! Congrats on your success :)
It´s great to see more people succeeding with this species. Hopefully in a not so distant future, commercial imports will be rendered unnecessary.

frogman

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Evan
Congrats, you did a good job on breeding!!!

MarioR

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Thanks guys!

It´s great to see more people succeeding with this species. Hopefully in a not so distant future, commercial imports will be rendered unnecessary.
Well, we got a good live stock in Germany/Europe, but most aren't able to breed them. I don't know how many years ago someone bred tigrinum in Germany.
Most keepers also don't know the locality of their animals.
So, I think it will take many years to make imports unnecessary.

Greetings,
Mario

MarioR

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I got to write you again.
This picture says everything:wacko:

And I also succeeded with macrodactylum:wink:

Regards,
Mario

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
Awesome... just awesome!
We are going to need pictures of the macrodactylum now, though, you can´t just talk about it and not share some pictures :p

Congratulations once again, these are smashing news.

AaronK

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
AaronK
Great pictures and success!

MarioR

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Update:

All larvae are doing well.
They are readily accepting every live food and my first try with axolotl pellets was successful this morning when I tried it in my group with the largest individuals :love:
I hope they all get big enough soon, because they are eating nearly too much...
I breed lots of live food, like Daphnia, black worms and enchytreans but those larvae want more and more food...

So the biggest one really exploded after eating two siblings :(
It reached 5cm after less than two weeks

You can also see the hind limbs start to grow.
The others measure 3-4cm now.

regards,
Mario

TomaszJanulewic

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hi Mario
i have an question - how long you tigers been in water before they lay eggs?
week, two week? more?
Cheers Tomasz

MarioR

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hi Tomasz,

last year the males stayed alone in the tank for 13 days, when I put the females in, it took 2 days till day laid eggs.
This year they needed more time and the females were in the tank for more than two week until they laid eggs.

regards,
Mario

Niels D

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I missed this thread completely while I'm attempting to breed them myself. No results here, but I'm offering them a 50/50 tank. I'm changing my setup tomorrow right away! Hope I'm not too late and that it will work. Thanks Mario for this great thread!

megs

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
I think its fantastic that mario have manged to breed these animals for the 2nd year in a row. It not that big a deal to breed newly imported animals where nature have already programmed the animals, but when you breed them the year after it means that you haveunderstood what the animals need during the whole year.
I also breed this strain of tigers last year from nature programmed animals but gave away the wc and focusonsome of the many cb theyproduced so nobreeding here this year. However, what i wanted to say besides giving mario my respect in this matter was that the animals should not have a choice in spring. Give them waåter with no acces to land:happy:
Martin

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jesse
I've never seen this thread until now, but a big congrats. What an achievement! What do you plan on doing with all of them?

Niels D

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Give them water with no acces to land:happy:

That's what I will do next year for both my A.m.diaboli and A.m.mavortium. The diabolis reside in a 50/50 setup and they had really cold temperatures last winter. The mavoritums are in a similar setup as Mario's since I first discovered this thread.

Everyone who breeds Ambystomids is a salamander hero if you ask me!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Chat Bot:
    ChocoUniversa has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • ellarose:
    +1
    Unlike
  • ellarose:
    Go to the fishless cycle tab :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • MidgetMan:
    @tduzz, where do you live? Like roughly. What country are you in?
    +1
    Unlike
  • tduzz:
    @MidgetMan, Massachusetts but I can give anywhere in the new England area
    +1
    Unlike
  • AMurry24537:
    @ChocoUniversa, Buy some ammonia and an eyedropper from Walmart and a water test kit for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. Figure out (through testing) how many drops it will take to get the ammonia level to the test's maximum measurement. Add that same number of drops every 24 hours. Eventually, the ammonia will start to go down as it's converted to nitrites. Keep adding ammonia. The nitrite levels will spike for a while and then they too will start to go down as they convert to nitrates. These you get rid of by doing water changes, which you should be doing anyway throughout the process. Once all of these are at low levels, your aquarium is ready. It takes about a month, maybe two (mine took a month and a half). Be sure to add ammonia until the day of or the day before you add your axolotl.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kmia_13:
    Hey guys, this is my first time using this so bear with me. I have an adult axie who looks like he’s developed some fungus on gills. It’s still really small and only on one part. I put him in a 10 gal quarantine tank with an Indian almond leaf. I want to give him a black tea bath but not sure if I can add my black tea to the tank with the Indian almond leaf in there. Any advice?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Gillygills:
    Hi, My axolotl has just started morphing, but has some fungal spot behind the gill.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Gillygills:
    Should I fridge therapy and salt wash? or will this not be wise when she is morphing.
    +1
    Unlike
  • BChen3695:
    Need help identifying what’s wrong with my axolotl
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    @BChen3695, what are your parameters and temp? The fact that they're raised bumps could indicate fungus or bacterial infection.
    +2
    Unlike
  • XxJennXx:
    Hi! I have recently gotten a spotted salamander. Did some research and found lots of info, but just wondering if they brumate in captivity! Thank you to anyone who can answer this ☺
    +1
    Unlike
  • Pookisoo:
    Hello its urgent!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Pookisoo:
    I have a tiger salamander and i got him as a gift , recently it looks like something has been eating at his tail! Almost like its dissolving..? Ive checked that there is no other bugs in the closure, ive also ben giving him salt baths but its inly getting worse. Sorry if its much hahaha im just super worried!😓
    +1
    Unlike
  • afmtgn:
    Hi @Pookisoo it seems to be a fungal disease
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    @XxJennXx, I don't believe so. They are closely related to tigers and my tiger doesn't brumate. I think first year they might but after they see they aren't needing to, they should be good. They might try and hibernate to, mine did for the first year but now I see him crawling around right now.
    +1
    Unlike
  • XxJennXx:
    @MVM1991, ok thanks :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Pookisoo:
    @afmtgn, is there anything i can do about it?
    +1
    Unlike
  • RG:
    @Pookisoo, The refrigerator is a good hospital for tigers.Temperature between 7 and 2 degrees Celsius can stop bacteria. If necessary or if you dare 0 to -2 can also help.Reduce the temperature in a few days from 7 degrees to 2. After that you can reduce further. Feel free to let it sit for a few weeks. Place the animal in a plastic container with a lid with some air holes. Fill it with some soil and / or leaves. Check regularly whether there is still moisture or ice in this container. At temperatures above 2 degrees, they do not go into hibernation. They will then live on their reserves. Doing nothing is not an option, I speak from experience. You can avoid these kinds of problems by keeping them fairly dry for much of the year.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Paige1warren:
    Hi guys! I’m new to this site and a new axolotl owner. I’ve had my baby (his name is toothpick) for about a month or so now. I finally got a water testing kit and I tested the perimeters earlier today. My ammonia was at 3 ppm and my nitrite was at 2 ppm. This freaked me out because I know they are supposed to be at 0 ppm. I did a water change a little bit ago and it went down to ammonia 1 ppm and in between 1-2 ppm nitrate. I change 50% of my water weekly and clean up any pieces of waste or excess food with a turkey bastwr everyday. Could this just be because the tank isn’t fully cycled yet? Should I be concerned? Toothpick hasn’t shown any signs of distress
    +1
    Unlike
  • Pookisoo:
    @RG, yeah.. im a new owner and i thought just giving salt baths would work, Thank you so much for this tho!🤗
    +1
    Unlike
  • Pookisoo:
    Sorry again... but when i take him out is he supposed to be moving funny..? Sorry hahaha🤕
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    @Paige1warren You need to tub your axolotl and perform 100% daily water changes. Your tank is not fully cycled, and any readings of ammonia or nitrite are toxic and potentially deadly. A fully cycled tank should at all times have readings of 0ppm ammonia/0ppm nitrite/0pmm<nitrate.
    +1
    Unlike
    madcaplaughs: @Paige1warren You need to tub your axolotl and perform 100% daily water changes. Your tank is... +1