Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ambystoma tigrinum: successful breeding

MarioR

Reaction score
Thanks Niels :eek:

Update:
They keep growing and growing.

8cm long and kept in a white box.
461843_392010580859923_100001529526069_75267903_2057524180_o.jpg

6cm long and kept on brown ground.
459264_392010620859919_100001529526069_75267904_1301860173_o.jpg

TomaszJanulewic

Reaction score
Hi Mario!
AWWW THEY ARE SO CUTE!! :3
I see that the larvae change coloration depending on the environment - interesting!I will be interesting what a difference color of them after metamorphosis!
regards, Tomasz

MarioR

Reaction score
Hey,

the first four entered the land.
Here's a picture of the first two:
dsc06033.jpg

The bigger one was the very light coloured larva from my post before.

The metamorph on this picture is from my outside-tank. The colour is very different to the others from inside:
dsc06043.jpg

Let's see how they develop ;)

MarioR

Reaction score
More than half of the larvae morphes in the meantime.

Here are 22 of 26 metamorphes I got so far.
dsc06164-2.jpg

Some got a spectacular colouration for A. tigrinum from that location:

dsc06166-2.jpg

The smallest and the biggest metamorph together. 8 and 16cm in total lenght (about 3 and 6'')

dsc06172-2.jpg

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Holy FSM, Mario, you are on a roll! xD
This indeed seems to be a fantastic year for ambystomatid captive breeding. I have the urge to do a little dance.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Congratulations! But when does it become captive breeding versus letting them breed naturally?

MarioR

Reaction score
It comes to captive breedings when you keep a species and they breed? :wacko:

In my opinion natural breeding occures in their natural environment without people telling them when they have to live in an aquarium or on land :D

Soe

Reaction score
Hi
I am also the proud owner of the same locality of tigrinum.
The story starts back in 2011, where I got some eggs from Martin ( Megs) and placed them in a tank in my wintergarden. They developed into newt quickly, and started to grow and grow. Unfortunately we got an uexpected hot day while on work, and when I came home all larvae was upside down. 4 of them still had a little movement in the gills, but the rest was dead :mad:
In the panik the only solution, I could find was to throw the tank out into my pond in the garden. Weeks became months and I didn`t see any of them again, so I expected they were dead.Then one evening in the late summer, I was sitting next to the pond enjoying a cigaret and a beer, when a huge swop sounded from the water. Hmmm what was that? While looking there suddently came a monster up to the surface and took some air........ I tried to catch it, but witout luck so the next day I emtied the pond and in the mud I found 2 larvae ( a pair ).

tigersalamanderlarve01.jpg

They were really big. 21 and 22 cm.
I placed them i a large tank, but they emidiatly started to reduce the gills and went on land in a few days.

tigre01.jpg

Later I got the parent animals too, but they were much smaller than the 2.

A few days back I placed the adults in a tank outside. The males 1 day before the females and I tried with a seperate tank for the "homemade" pair. The next day the first eggs were deposited, and they are going on and on. I theink there are about 300 now and I really hope they are fertile.

tigeraeg01.jpg

Best wishes
Søe

Soe

Reaction score
I actually gave up hope on the eggs, because I didn`t see any development. Then 2 days ago I looked on the eggs at the 2 of my own breeding and within the soup of algaes, I saw this:

tigeraeg03.jpg

Best wishes

Søe

Soe

Reaction score
Today the last larvae have left the eggs. Unfortunately only in 1 container, but a fast count passed 80, so there will be more than enough to feed on:happy:

Soe

Reaction score
Status from today:
About 80 -90 left in size from 4,5 to 10 cm. I have had serious problems getting enough food for them. I tried feeding with pellets and frozen mosquitolarvae, but the only result was, that they went into canibalism :mad:. I needed to seperate them in size on a daily basis, so now I have 5 tanks with larvae. Problems started at about 4 cm, but the large ones have now stopped eating each other.They are fed on earthworms and soldierfly larvae and gives no problems beside all the water changes.
I finally found a pond with live mosqutilarvae and daphnia yesterday, and for the first time in weeks they didn`t eat it all up before next morning.
I hope I will manege to get the rest past 8 cm, so they can be fed on worms in stead. That is far easier.

salamanderlarve11.jpg

Soe

Reaction score
Made a new setup....... I was fed up changing 1 m3 water a day, so I made a rack where the water flows from one to another and then back to a container filled with water plants to remove the waste material from the larvae.

salamderbassiner.jpg

I also gave up catching and digging food enouh for the "Lock Ness" monsters so I started on buying 5 kilo earthworms.................That will last a few weeks ( If I am lucky :mad:)

These buggers eats me out of the house and the grow like madness.

Lets see how big they grow. My goal is a larvae at 20 cm and hopefully 25 but I recon thats impossible

tigerlarve17.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!