Nice full bellies! Lookin' good!

JBear

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
Mine are still eggs at the moment, but they look like they'll slip any day now, maybe even later today. :)

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
I've just been out to check on mine and there are some empty eggs! There's plenty of natural food in their tank, so hopefully I should be able to spot the larvae soon.

bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Julia
The larger ones are now developing front legs....they can just be seen. ( I stalk them now armed with a magnifying glass ) . There is a big difference now in their sizes, the larger ones are double the size of some of the smaller ones. they are feeding on daphnia and white worm. The eggs outside are just starting to hatch now.

Attachments

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
Mine look very similar at the moment, although there's no size difference yet. Will you split them up according to size as they grow?

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Xavier
I'd imagine so, tiger larvae are confirmed cannibals, there's even a cannibal morph as well, so I think they'll be separated according to size

bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Julia
For a while they where all a similar size. They have a constant supply of small daphnia and chopped white worm and I was hoping the range on food size would suit the different sizes of larvae. I have a lot of aquatic plants to give some place to hide for the smaller ones. The behaviour of the larger larvae has become more jumpy, rather than just gently swimming.
At the moment I am not intending to separate them as I suspect the smaller ones may eventually not thrive, even if separated. I'll continue to supply lots of size appropriate food for both. I will try and get a photo showing the size differences over the next few days.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
There's definitely some size difference with my larvae now. The biggest ones have small front legs and I've even seen them breathing air at the surface!
No cannibalism yet though. touch wood. I'll try and get some pics soon to see how they compare with yours.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've split mine up for safety. The largest is at least 3 times the size of the smallest and they patrol the mid water in jerky movements attacking anything that moves. They're brutal. I've never raised Ambystoma before so it's fascinating to see how different they are to newt larvae. They do take pellets but spit them out. I don't think it'll be long before they can be weened off live food.

Sadly I've only ended up with a handful of larvae. I think the postal process was a bit too traumatic for many of the embryos. I'm not too worried, it's not like they're small salamanders! Thanks Julia!

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
I've seen the brutal lunges as well. At first I thought they were being startled when I was dropping food in, but they were really just launching themselves and intercepting it before it hit the bottom!

bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Julia
Managed to get a shot with one of the larger larva with a smaller larva. This weekend I can just see some rear legs starting to develop.
Over the last few days the eggs in the outdoor tub have just started to hatch. I had forgotten already how small they where to start with.

Attachments

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
Here are a few snaps of mine. I think they are a little behind yours, they have just been growing their back legs over the last few days. They really are deadly predators aren't they, much more aggressive than any other larvae I've raised. I can easily imagine them swallowing each other in the wild if need be!

Attachments

Last edited:

mr cyclone

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
I'm Curious to see how different in colour the 2 I'm raising outside will be compared to the rest indoors, I have between 8 and 12 .My Dad has also got 2 of the larvae and is raising them with glee.
I will maybe try and sneak some pictures with the Mrs phone as my one is playing up.She is still annoyed about recieving notifications for posting a yangi video online with it :happy:

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
I'm going to move some of mine outside at the weekend as they've out grown their tank inside. They really are killing machines, I siphoned one out by accident today during a water change, the vicious little thing was still snapping at things in the bottom of the bucket after his ride down the hose!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Murk:
    That´s the most accurate. Depends on the size of the tub etc. - you just want to make sure the water is always clean
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    When little axolotls are tubbed is it common for them to get a little more spunky then usual? Water temps around 64-65 F and has been changed today with prime added
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Uh. That depends on your definition of "spunky"?
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @Kwags, how big?
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    my baby hes tubed and hes a wild child xD
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    Swimming like crazy. A little more pep in his step. I think about 3 inches.
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    Hi does anyone know if jungle fungus clear is safe to use for my axolotl? She has some either fungus or bacterial growth on her fillibrae and maybe body and I read that's good to use if you aren't sure if the problem is bacterial or fungal
    +1
    Unlike
  • EasternRomioi3:
    I have not heard of that before.
    +1
    Unlike
  • EasternRomioi3:
    That jungle fungus clear. I've been dealing with some fungus with my axolotl on and off this summer. The Holtsfreter solution and water changes just seem to do the trick after a bit
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    Where do you get the holtsfreter solution? I've been upping water changes but salt bath seems to be more stressful/harmful than beneficial because she does not like to be caught!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Slash-GNR:
    Anyone know how to harden soft water without raising pH?
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    To raise GH, add calcium carbonate (or tums). What has you doing this?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Slash-GNR:
    Thank you! My tap water is naturally low in GH and KH, and I need to raise it... but I don't want to raise the pH, which is perfect, with coral.
    +1
    Unlike
  • EaglesFan78:
    anyone have firebelly newts forsale message me !!!!!
    +1
    Unlike
  • ShawnJPN:
    Lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    Hey all I’m looking for some help.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    How do I create a thread?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Binditheaxolotl:
    LYes? It might be easier if u posted a thread
    +1
    Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    Yes, how can I do this? Is it by creating a room? Thank you for your help
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Hey guys, I suppose this is a foolish question, but will my long-toed salamanders over-eat resulting in obesity?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    what are thoughts on using crushed coral or tufa rocks for resining the ph level in my tank? I have the seachem ph alert and it’s reading 5.4
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    meowzilla has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Delaney:
    Hi, I really need some advice about cloudy water in my axlotl tank!
    +2
    Unlike
  • AnimeDan:
    Hi Delaney. Can you be more specific? There are lots of reasons for cloudy water, such as substrate getting kicked up, water hardness, etc. if you don’t have hard water and it doesn’t settle then I’d do a water change and see if that helps.
    +1
    Unlike
    AnimeDan: Hi Delaney. Can you be more specific? There are lots of reasons for cloudy water, such as... +1