Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Breeding salamandra algira algira

toadinthehole

Reaction score
Do you need any special conditions for gravid females to give birth to live fully metamorphosed larvae (I have the species that are meant to do this, but is this consistent or can it depend on environmental conditions?

Blackbun

Reaction score
I'm not too familiar with this subspecies but experience has taught me that tiny salamanders and newly metamorphed newts are vulnerable to desiccation. Whilst I keep the enclosure damp by fine misting, I'd not want it water logged. The other issue is getting them started feeding. Small crickets, aphids and fruit fly might appear ideal but could be tricky to catch. I use chopped worms which I place, using fine forceps, directly in front of their snout. It appears food needn't be alive but the tiny muscular contractions of chopped worm segments catch the attention and illicit the feeding response.

I had a quick look using Google to find out specific details for this animal tending to consider habitat and climate.
North African fire salamander videos, photos and facts - Salamandra algira | ARKive
Please let us know how you're getting on.

schmiggle

Reaction score
I presume this means you have a gravid female S. algira, which is awesome! However, according to the webpage that Blackbun just mentioned, only S. a. tingitana gives birth to live young. So I suppose yours will likely give birth to larvae.
Best of luck!

Blackbun

Reaction score
There appears to be a considerable number of scientific publications investigating and discussing temperature and larvae development in salamanders (and other amphibians). I think many state the obvious really that warmer temperatures are associated with increases in rates of growth whilst cooler ones the opposite.
Here's one of the many for interest!
Larval amphibians seek warm temperatures and do not avoid harmful UVB radiation

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1