Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

C. Pyrrhogaster subspecies ID?

Molch

Reaction score
Hiya,
below some pix of my long-term C.Pyrrhogasters.

3 of them have the more speckled, crimson belly, while the 4th (a male) has a belly that is more orange and less speckled, without the tiny white dots. You can see him in the first pic.

PS: forgive the fugly plastic plants - still looking for more live plants to buy...

Attachments

• IMG_5328.jpg
    IMG_5328.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG_5327.jpg
    IMG_5327.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 809
  • IMG_5322.jpg
    IMG_5322.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 435

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I´d say sasayamae, but Joost is the guy to ask about this.

Joost

Reaction score
The sasayamae is known by their white dots, although not every individual has them. The more speckled belly is also typical for this form. I've seen in captive bred animals btw, that they have a less speckled belly than wildcaught animals, and also the speckled belly is more seen in females.
I would say sasayamae as well, but it can be difficult to determine if the locality isn't known.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They, in all likelihood, are WC adults, and that´s why they have a very red coloration, Eva.

Molch

Reaction score
I got them 13 years ago at a pet shop. At the time, the vendor said they were "probably" captive-bred, but in hindsight I doubt they were...they were probably WC, yeah...

Eva - I feed them all kinds of things, but the staple are frozen bloodworms. Also, mosquito larva in summer (never a shortage of those in Alaska), crickets, earthworms, whatever bug flies in the window, and live or frozen daphnia.

PereJosa

Reaction score
Hello.
I'm agree with Azhael and Joost in the opinion about this exs. are probably like to sasayama, but, one newt (in the middle of 1st photo) in my opinion, it's not more tipical belly pattern for sasayama (but i think its sasayama) (but individual variation...), Molch you have more photos of this newt? i like watch other photos of this ex., only for curiosity....thanks!

Bye. Adeu

Last edited:

Joost

Reaction score
Hello. one newt (in the middle of 1st photo) in my opinion, it's not more tipical belly pattern for sasayama (but i think its sasayama) (but individual variation...),

Please read my previous post ;)

...the speckled belly is more seen in females.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1