Photo: Crawl the Warrior King

CrAwLTWKing

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is my Axolotl, Crawl the Warrior King. I am new to this site and am just getting the hang of things. You all have some great pictures. I do have a question though, how do you get a pic to be by your name when you post something. I see everyone else's comments and they have pictures to the left under their names.:confused:
I look forward to talking to you all!
Thanks Christine

Attachments

• crawl1.jpg
    crawl1.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 607
  • crawl2.jpg
    crawl2.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 563
Oh no..adid you buy this as a "baby dinosaur"? I think you have a Tiger Salamander.

Really to which question, I am fairly confident that is a Tiger Salamander rather than an axolotl.

(I assume you have had it for a short period of time? less than a few month?)

hi
when you log in if you click on user CP(in green on the very top of the page) you can change your avatar to whatever picture you want. very the cute picture by way.
lea

He is a pretty little guy! I am also pretty darn certain that he is a tiger salamander and not an axolotl. He will still be a wonderful pet no doubt about that! :happy:

can you put tiger salamanders in with axies? They look awesome!

@Katie - not a good idea as the tiger will be morphing into a salamander.

@CrAwLTWKing - Guess that's why he's been floating, looks like he's starting to morph! Good luck! Nice markings - Tigers are pretty cool too!

Ah cool, I wasn't sure - forgot they wqere both larval until I read your post mel d'oh! :bowl:

Shannon, what do you mean morph? Great i guess I have no idea what I am doing...The guy I bought it frm said it was an axolotl with a tiger print...I guess I am stupid...IDK, is there a way it could be a mix? Also I didnt think salomanders had the gills around the head like he does? And now I am not even sure he is a he!
:eek:

Hi,
What you have there is a tiger salamander in its larval state. When tigers grow up, they lose their gills and become terrestrial (ie morph) unlike the axolotl (except in extremely rare cases). You're not stupid, you trusted someone who misled you. In your part of the country, this is very common. Many have made the same mistake, but like others have said, you have a great pet there. No worries, this site has you covered here too! Mark gave you a great place to start and there's a forum devoted to these guys too. I adore Tigers personally and wish I had the room for one. I wish you the best with him and you have to post pics once he's a full tiger! :D

Thank you so much for your help. I am still in shock right now and feel very illprepared!:artist:

maybe he's a hybrid?

I've read that tiger salamanders have shorter toes than axolots, although I don't know by how much. those toes look axolotl to me, but then I haven't looked very hard at any tiger salamander toes.

you should probably assume it's going to morph though. I think 1st-gen axie-tiger hybrids always morph, and he definitely has tiger markings.

It is much more likely that you have a larval tiger salamander than an axolotl-tiger hybrid.

I am not sure either, but i also have read about the toes....His toes are very long and slender....and his gills are getting longer and longer..not resorbing into his head...I dont know what to think anymore...he has also grown...he's like 7 inches now. and still has a hefty appitite (sp?)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back