Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eddie & Elektra lay eggs!

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here are my yearlings. I've raised another crop this year, but they are a similar story so I'm not posting about that. My yearlings were put into a 50-50 tank yesterday. They are enjoying it. The parents (Eddie and Elektra) live in a similar set-up.

1. Climbing on the glass
2. Here's Popeye (see http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...der-help/61042-squashed-newt-may-survive.html)
3. Another yearling
4. Yes, they really vary in size! The one on the left here really takes after her mom, Elektra.
5. Same newt as in pic 1, different angle
6. The 50-50 tank they're in. Their water level is about one inch; their parents' water is about 4 inches.
7. And here are the proud parents, Eddie and Elektra. Elektra, walking all over her hubby, as usual!

Attachments

• TVerr TVerr Yearling6sm.JPG
    TVerr TVerr Yearling6sm.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 570
  • TVerr Yearling1sm.JPG
    TVerr Yearling1sm.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 449
  • TVerr Yearling2sm.JPG
    TVerr Yearling2sm.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 476
  • TVerr Yearling3sm.JPG
    TVerr Yearling3sm.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 448
  • TVerr Yearling5sm.JPG
    TVerr Yearling5sm.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 447
  • TVerrYearlingTanksm.JPG
    TVerrYearlingTanksm.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 477
  • TVerrE&Esm.JPG
    TVerrE&Esm.JPG
    365.9 KB · Views: 540

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Wow Dawn the parents are so good looking!!! Guess you will have another lay :D
Are the young voracious?
chip.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In the winter, their appetite goes way down. I offer them food twice a week, and sometimes the adult female (Elektra) will only eat once a week, just a part of a worm, and Eddie (the male) has gone up to two weeks without eating. But they remain plump. I used to get upset and worried about this, but over the years, I've gotten used to it. Now the kiddies have slowed down eating too.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a picture of two of them March 26:

I kept five from the first batch (laid July 2008), and one of them died earlier this month, and I have no idea why. But it wasn't Popeye.

Attachments

• LaidJuly2008sm.JPG
    LaidJuly2008sm.JPG
    238.9 KB · Views: 446

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Elektra has been FAT and I've been waiting for her to lay for weeks. She laid on the exact same day the last two years (July 15) but she laid a week later this year. She laid a few, maybe 60 or so, and I thought she was done. I was about to take her out of the egg tank and put her back in her usual home tomorrow, and today, what do I see?

I challenge anyone to dispute that Elektra and Eddie are the most amazing newts in the history of newt-keeping! And if you do dispute it, keep it to yourself! :p

I think she just laid about 150 eggs in the last day! It looks like she was decorating for Xmas!

Attachments

• ElektraEggssm.JPG
    ElektraEggssm.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 431
  • ElektraEggs (1)sm.JPG
    ElektraEggs (1)sm.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 407

dragonlady

Reaction score
Wow, Dawn! First off, congratulations! Secondly, yours sounds like a very, very busy household! lol I just recently discovered Eddie and Elektra in their videos, and now here they are, making more headlines! Well done! Looking forward more news as it happens! Best to all! :D

JWERNER

Reaction score
Yet another great thread that has survived over the years!

Congrats again. Let me know what your gunna do with some of the larva.

I really need to get back into things. I lost my newts last summer and have not kept any since. Im definitely looking though and pondering what I should get my son for his birthday in September as his first amphibian pet.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw Elektra laying eggs on the air bubbler. I thought it was so funny, I thought the air bubbles must have been soothing her poor overused little cloaca. I ran upstairs to get my camera, and by then she'd moved on to the rock. Oh, that would have been a great shot! She was hovered over that air bubbler like it was massaging her.

Now I want everyone who reads this to go back to the first post and click "Like."

Attachments

• fri 001sm.JPG
    fri 001sm.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 410
  • fri 004sm.JPG
    fri 004sm.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 384

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought I'd take some pictures of the offspring that I kept from two years ago, from her first lay. I have four of them.

1. The largest of the offspring I kept. This one is pretty much always aquatic. I think she is the most mature of them.
2. All four of the offspring for size comparison.
3. Another view of them.
4. The largest of her terrestrial babies. The one is aquatic, and the other three are mostly terrestrial, though they sometimes go in the water.
5.Elektra and her largest baby, the one from the first picture.
6.Popeye, the one I squashed.
7. Another view of Popeye.
8. Eddie and Elektra, the patriarch and matriarch.

Attachments

• Ebiggestoffspringsm.JPG
    Ebiggestoffspringsm.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 409
  • Elektra4babies2sm.JPG
    Elektra4babies2sm.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 392
  • Elektra4babiessm.JPG
    Elektra4babiessm.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 363
  • ElektraBabysm.JPG
    ElektraBabysm.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 351
  • ElektraVsLgstBabysm.JPG
    ElektraVsLgstBabysm.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 395
  • Popeye1sm.JPG
    Popeye1sm.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 381
  • Popeye2sm.JPG
    Popeye2sm.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 401
  • Eddie&Elektrasm.JPG
    Eddie&Elektrasm.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 424

caudatadude28

Reaction score
How long is Electra? My largest morph from last year breeding is almost 5 inches. The other one is about 4 inches. Both of mine are terrestrial.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Here are some of the larvae from this year, today. They vary in size a lot! These are the larger ones, though.

Attachments

• Larvae 003sm.JPG
    Larvae 003sm.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 351
  • Larvae 004sm.JPG
    Larvae 004sm.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 338
  • Larvae 008sm.JPG
    Larvae 008sm.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 357

Fer

Reaction score
Congrats!! they're awesome, nice pictures :)

allegoriest

Reaction score
Wow, your pictures are awesome~

And of course, congratulations on the babies. Oh so many babies. And a lovely reference too. (Everytime I've tried to chart my pet growth, I stop maybe... third post. :( )
The little larvae are absolutely ADORABLE. It makes me want to have little larvae babies of my own to watch grow up. (SO CUTE. Little larvae gills~)

...That last picture though.... They look like they're made of the candy I was eating when I clicked on it. :eek:
Gonna stop eating that for now...

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No eggs for 2011, but I am very hopeful for 2012. Here they are in their winter tank, the loving couple.

Attachments

• 10-3 001sm.JPG
    10-3 001sm.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 344

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's some water in the left part of the tank that's not in the picture, I just took that because they looked so cute and snug in their little house together. In the past I took them up to my living area in the winter where we could watch each other and they had some variety...I didn't last winter, though, and I think they did better when I would do that. So now that it's cooler, they're right across from the ferret cage where they can watch the ferrets and the ferrets can watch them.

Raposo

Reaction score
I must say that these newts are more than legendary to more than caudata's community All I can say is, they are strikingly beautiful and obviously extremely well taken care of.

Congratulations on your superb treatment of these animals, If its ok with you I'd like to brainstorm a bit via PM to see if I can gain some of your wisdom and prowess.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1