New Look - Don't Panic

Also, I keep getting bumped off with my screen telling me the servers are too busy....are these just a few kinks that are still being worked out?

Hmmm - so it's not just me. I've seen this quite a bit over the last few days.

New skin looks excellent, good work John.

Attachments

• serverbusy.jpg
    serverbusy.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 242
I'm not sure what's happening either but with the new look things have become quite slow and the dreaded server busy messages are popping up very frequently. Some sort of memory leak or process that isn't terminating?

I do like the new look. Very clean and easy to read. It seems almost too clinical but I think that may just be years of green background speaking since all my other pages are friendly black on white. I do really like the new look and layout!

I have to agree it is BRIGHT, (Imagine all this white on four 22 inch LCD monitors...) I am a night person! Looks like I will get that tan I always wanted...:p

I especially like the new icons for messages. I can scan through even faster now!

I agree there may be a few bugs yet, site stability is a bit choppy. Lots of 404s showing up and slow load rates, even on Chrome.

I too like the new look, I am still a little blinded by the brightness. I also use a 19" monitor and I don't particularly care for the scroll bar at the bottom.

The new look is Great! I like it but the server is busy busy busy sometimes.

The new look is Great! I like it, but the server seems to be busy sometimes.

I love the new look it is very clean and professional. I have also found a new feature I will likely use alot, No Post Left Behind. The Title bar with changing images is a great feature also.

Is it possible it could be modified so it fits on all screens? If not I may go back to the old look because its frustrating to have to constantly move the screen back and forth to read things.

The new lay out is cool but its too big i have a 19" too and it would be better if it would be a tad bit smaller thank you.

I sort of paniced at first :uhoh: I thaught the computor had rederected me to another site, I think it is rather bright but I'll get used to it and will you always have the old skin option for the supporters of the good old days? If you don't then ohh well, now I can be cool and wear my sunnys:cool:

It may just be my computer, but loading times seem much longer between pages for me with this new look. Also, I keep getting bumped off with my screen telling me the servers are too busy....are these just a few kinks that are still being worked out?
That's not related to the new look. I am aware of this problem and I'm having the provider give me some options.

I've taken some measures to ease the load on the server. In the mean time, the provider will monitor what's going on for a few days so we can root out any problems.

Due to complaints about the width, I've reduced the overall width by 100 pixels. That's about the best I can do.

I've also removed the photo gallery section from the top of search results pages in order to lessen the load on the server. I always found them annoying anyhow.

Re: Hiccups

Well, I am new here so I only briefly saw the old design; that said, I really like what you did. The new desing is crisp and modern and easy to look at. No offense intended to the designer of the previous look, I just think this one is very nicely done and remember there was something about the other site that seemed difficult to navigate in comparison to this one. Just wanted to say good job!

Re: Hiccups

No offense intended to the designer of the previous look, I just think this one is very nicely done and remember there was something about the other site that seemed difficult to navigate in comparison to this one. Just wanted to say good job!
Yeah, the old designer sucked. I fired him.

I like it, just way too much white all over the place. maybe some more color would look nice. I like how neat everything looks tho.

Sorry to be a combo breaker, but I am not a fan of the new design. I almost need my sunglasses on the try to navigate, the white background is out of control. Also, the left and right margins seem too wide...A lot of extra reading space seems wasted.

Thankyou John for shortening the width of the site. It helps. Maybe you could tone down the white, make the background a bit darker, perhaps more of a grey or tan.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back