New Look - Don't Panic

I like the new look a lot! It looks so clean. In my brief periods online I have not had any problems. Two things I don't find: A quick link to the User CP and the "Go" button/list at the bottom of each thread to return to the forum rubric.

-One-click Eva

Sorry for the second post; I can't edit my last post because it hasn't been approved yet.

More concrete feedback than my last: I like the new organisation of the links and navigation bars. The list of the site map quick links at the top left looks a bit confusing to me; I would suggest using points and arrows or some such to more clearly define the categorical hierarchy. (Did that make sense?)

Also I clicked on "Buddy List" (was ist das?) and got a blank white page.

-Eva

Don't like a bit. Way too much white. I'll stick with the old as long as possible. The new one has no character. Looks like some cutesy tacky site for 12 year olds. And no, I am not a Luddite.

Two things I don't find: A quick link to the User CP and the "Go" button/list at the bottom of each thread to return to the forum rubric.
User CP is at the top of the page in the green bar, beside "Tags".

The Go button/list is called the Jump menu. I've removed it temporarily because it will increase load times slightly and while we're trying to find what's slowing the server down, we need all the speed we can get.

The list of the site map quick links at the top left looks a bit confusing to me; I would suggest using points and arrows or some such to more clearly define the categorical hierarchy. (Did that make sense?)
I'm not following - what menu specifically (what's in it) and give me an example of how you want it split please.

Also I clicked on "Buddy List" (was ist das?) and got a blank white page.
Works for me. Where is the Buddy List link you're clicking - under what menu?

Don't like a bit. Way too much white. I'll stick with the old as long as possible. The new one has no character. Looks like some cutesy tacky site for 12 year olds. And no, I am not a Luddite.
Ouch. The white is a significant change, I'll grant you. I think you're way off on the rest. Thanks for your feedback though.

Sorry for being unclear. I was thinking in German yesterday which made it difficult to say what I meant. :eek:

The menu is called "site navigation" and is on the left of the main screen , where one arrives if one clicks "caudata.org" above in the navi-bar:

» Caudata.org Home
> Donations
> About Us
> Our Sites
> Caudata.org Magazine
> Merchandise
> Books
> Journals etc
> Societies
> Links
> Species Links
> Mailing Lists etc
» Terms of Service (Rules)
» Privacy Statement
» Forum
» Caudata Culture
» Axolotls
» User Options
> F.A.Q.

I mean that the ">" symbols that show a new topic heading. Therse are repeated to show a sub-category under a sub-category, the difference being indicated by an indent. All I meant was maybe a dot instead of a >. Really avery small suggestion but I wanted to seem helpful.

The "buddy list" link I clicked is on the same side (left), further down the page below the site nav. I didn't/don't know what the buddy list is, so I clicked on it and just got a completely blank page. The address bar says: http://www.caudata.org/forum/profile.php?do=editlist
and the browser's status bar says "done" but that's all she wrote.

I found the User CP link, by the way, just didn't want to come back and write another post just for that.

While I'm here I'll add that I also like that the difference in color between new and old posts is more obvious. I like the "new post" option, too (did we have that before?), even though I am still going about things my old way, from the Forum Index.

-Eva

Eva, those things you're pointing out have been on the forum for 2 years. I didn't touch/change any of them when I made this new look. However I will take your points and make some appropriate changes.

Eva, those things you're pointing out have been on the forum for 2 years.

Well see? That just proves how much better the new site is. I'd never noticed them before on the old site. :p

Crawling back under my rock now...

-Eva

Re: New site

I"m going to be stupid and ask exactly what "no post left behind" brings up, other than I know it brings up lots of posts.

Re: New site

I"m going to be stupid and ask exactly what "no post left behind" brings up, other than I know it brings up lots of posts.
It brings up posts that have not received any replies.

I mean that the ">" symbols that show a new topic heading. Therse are repeated to show a sub-category under a sub-category, the difference being indicated by an indent. All I meant was maybe a dot instead of a >. Really avery small suggestion but I wanted to seem helpful.
I've made a change that will hopefully meet with your approval.

The "buddy list" link I clicked is on the same side (left), further down the page below the site nav. I didn't/don't know what the buddy list is, so I clicked on it and just got a completely blank page. The address bar says: http://www.caudata.org/forum/profile.php?do=editlist
and the browser's status bar says "done" but that's all she wrote.
Fixed.

I like the "new post" option, too (did we have that before?), even though I am still going about things my old way, from the Forum Index.
Yes we had it before but there were two options. Now they have been combined.

Last edited:
Re: Interchanging banner

I fixed some issues with the German layout of the login box.

A few seconds when i thought the site had disappeared, relaced by one of those did-you-mean ad sites but I actually quite like it! It seems... neater ... somehow.

This should be called the "Ouachita Mountain" skin for the forum. I note several Fourche Mtn. views!

This should be called the "Ouachita Mountain" skin for the forum. I note several Fourche Mtn. views!
You're slipping! There's only one Fourche Mountain view, tsk tsk. It's more a "Ouachita and Ozark" skin.

Hooray, the Jump menu is back! The Site Nav. menu looks nice, too. We are pleased. :p

-Eva

Oh thank god I could change the look back. that white was disgusting. I couldn't stand to be on the forum even.

Oh thank god I could change the look back. that white was disgusting. I couldn't stand to be on the forum even.
No offence, but it's funny to me that you think it's disgusting. I think the new look (now not new really, it's been here more than a month) is fantastic. The old one looks so amateur and the menus were confusing and illogical.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back