Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt room

audrey

Reaction score
How do you know when your newt room is too crowded!? When you step down from your step stool into a bucket of water! not once but twice in one evening!
Still waiting for more pics! Jen? Ian? You others out there!?

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You others out there!?

Here's mine:
1. First floor tanks (living room): upper tank, Notos; lower tank, P. labiatus
2. tank on left: my Eddie and Elektra (T. verr), on the right: a lizard (fat tail gecko)
3. the newt room proper: the basment. The gray box on the left is a worm farm.

The snakes are in three large tanks in the bedroom, 2nd floor. Piglet the hedgehog has a tank in his own (smelly) room.

Attachments

• 1upstairstanks.JPG
    1upstairstanks.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 768
  • 2upstairstanks.JPG
    2upstairstanks.JPG
    141.7 KB · Views: 654
  • 3basmentanks.JPG
    3basmentanks.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 686
Last edited:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Very nice, Ed and Dawn. Here is my dungeon. Thank heavens for Photoshop! There was no way to get this all in one shot, so I took a series of 6 photos and fused them together. This doesn't show everything, but it's the best way I could find to show most of my tanks without a long series of photos. Most of the furniture (stands, shelves, etc.) have been cobbled together from other people's kitchen renovations and furniture left by the previous owners of the house.

There are a bunch of plastic tub setups (mostly terrestrial, a couple aquatic) that you cannot see because they are behind the photographer or on the other side of the big bench in the center.

Also, I have 4 setups that live upstairs: 3 Cynops tanks, and a semi-indoor pond for axolotls. The pond is shown here:
http://www.caudata.org/people/JM/pond.html

Attachments

• newtroom_panorama1.jpg
    newtroom_panorama1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 770

Jake

Reaction score
Nice 'dungeon' Jen. It looks more like a paradise for them to me though. I can barely tell that there are 6 photos in one, that's cool.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm really enjoying having a nosy around peoples newt rooms! Your basement looks like a great space, Jen. The next house I buy will definitely require one (we call them cellars over here). I could spend hours in Dawn's house just looking at the stuff on the walls and shelves!

Half of my room is shown in this thread but I'm currently replacing many of my tubs with custom built glass aquaria so I won't post full room shots just yet.

Keep 'em coming.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
So, hmmm, how to put this, Jen, do you take borders?

Dawn: Nice Calendar!

Last edited:

troutnerd

Reaction score
I really need to show my wife this thread.Then she will know I'm not the only newt freak in the world.

My Office is full of tanks...but some of these set set ups (Jen!) are mind blowing.I'll have to take another look at our rec room..."thwack" (sound of frying pan hitting head).

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
To revive an old thread, here as some pics of my newt room. It's still a work in progress; I need to finish the wiring, install the drain system, and I need to add more shelving so I can bring in the tanks I have waiting outside.

Attachments

• Newt Room.jpg
    Newt Room.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 678
  • Newt Room2.jpg
    Newt Room2.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 563
  • Newt Room3.jpg
    Newt Room3.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 473
  • Newt Room4.jpg
    Newt Room4.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 506
  • Newt Room5.jpg
    Newt Room5.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 839

damien

Reaction score
Great looking room!

I'm just wondering: where do you all find the time to do the water chainges etc. for all those tanks? Not to mention the food..

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I'm just wondering: where do you all find the time to do the water chainges etc. for all those tanks? Not to mention the food..

I work night shift and only sleep 3 hours a day which leaves me plenty of time to work down there. I spend on average 4 or 5 hours a day down there messing around. :rolleyes:

As for food, almost all of my stuff is either cultured or collected myself.

Ben Krysa

Reaction score
Wow! I'm really impressed by all of your splendid newt rooms. I'll post my room soon, but I only have a modest 8 tanks running now.Only 4 of whick contains newts or salamanders. There is a show coming up though right away here in Edmonton, so I may end up with a few new family members. Awesome Job guys!!!

benh

Reaction score
Wow... :eek:
This thread is very interesting, impressive and ultimately inspiring! So many committed caudata enthusiasts :happy: Some of those collections are truly massive!
I'm having trouble keeping on top of the two tanks I've currently got going at the moment, lol, I've no idea how you guys do it - hopefully after years of experience I'll be able to manage more.
Keep the photo's coming!

lexmiller

Reaction score
NEWT ROOMS = AWESOME....

My question is this:

Those of you with large areas dedicated to raising and breeding newts...are you selling them or what?

Once I find a good school to teach biology at I would love to set up a section of the lab like these rooms you guys have. If I find an older school to work at I might even find an old storage room no longer in use.

GeoNewt

Reaction score
I've really enjoyed looking at all your set-ups. Here's my rather small newt room. Each of the racks are 3 feet long, and I'm trying to restrict myself to these racks, instead of taking over the entire house. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
George.

Attachments

• IMGP1784.jpg
    IMGP1784.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 474
  • IMGP1813.jpg
    IMGP1813.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 455
  • IMGP1818.jpg
    IMGP1818.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 472
  • IMGP1819.jpg
    IMGP1819.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 435
  • IMGP1820.jpg
    IMGP1820.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 516
Last edited:

Lusiwarrior

Reaction score
:eek: Simply fascinating your Newt room! One day I will also have one, which not far! :cool:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1