Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Please post pictures of your tank!!

XxIcefire

Reaction score
I have one tank set up for my girls Quetzalcoatl and Xipe Totec (top) and one for my boys Moctezuma and Tlaloc (bottom)
IMG_1196.jpg

JaceW/Lifer-Log

Reaction score
So, am I allowed to copy your names? I love Quetzalcoatl (or Quetzal.) I would use it if I ever get a axolotl. (it would be coppertype!)

Napalm

Reaction score
Hello All! I'm new to the site, new to the amphibian world and am here for help/suggestions/tips to make a comfortable and appropriate home for an Axlotl.

So, this is my current setup. I have a 20 gal. long, an Oase 100 filtosmart cannister filter, 3 fake aquarium plants, 2 hides, slate rock on the floor alongside fake moss rocks. I just replaced a submersible thermometer for the digital one to allow more floor space. I am 3 days into cycling. I have the API water testing kit and and patiently (not really) waiting for it to be safe.

The 2 hides I purchased are replaceable and I'm willing to trade them out with better options. I'm scared of harming my axlotl. I have no idea how resilient they are and I do not want to cut, scrape or get it stuck in an aquarium decoration. The Hides placed in there were sanded down to make main entrances smoother then rinsed in warm water. I hope the log on the left is appropriate. The fake rock formation on the right side is the main concern and priority replacement.

I not only sanded the decorations, but also the slate rock. Is this too much? Im planning on getting mores slate rock to line the floor or possibly make some formations. I seen other members displays and it has inspired me. Again, is sanding too far? Speaking of sand. I want to add some sand to the gaps on the floor the slate rock wont cover. Good or bad idea?

I'm also semi concerned about the flow of my filter. The main reason I purchased the 12" fake plants was to disrupt water flow from the spray bar. The outflow is at the lowest setting, the spray bar is facing the tank wall and slightly angled upwards to redirect flow to the surface. Do I still need a bubbler or air stone? I do not want to stress it out.

I'm in a weather controlled room and will be appropriate temperature year round. Aiming to keep it in the 19-20C/66-68F.

I hope you guys keep posting your setups. It will help me stay sane until I can have my own. ...one day

Attachments

• IMG-7047.jpg
    IMG-7047.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 326

JaceW/Lifer-Log

Reaction score
Hello All! I'm new to the site, new to the amphibian world and am here for help/suggestions/tips to make a comfortable and appropriate home for an Axlotl.

So, this is my current setup. I have a 20 gal. long, an Oase 100 filtosmart cannister filter, 3 fake aquarium plants, 2 hides, slate rock on the floor alongside fake moss rocks. I just replaced a submersible thermometer for the digital one to allow more floor space. I am 3 days into cycling. I have the API water testing kit and and patiently (not really) waiting for it to be safe.

The 2 hides I purchased are replaceable and I'm willing to trade them out with better options. I'm scared of harming my axlotl. I have no idea how resilient they are and I do not want to cut, scrape or get it stuck in an aquarium decoration. The Hides placed in there were sanded down to make main entrances smoother then rinsed in warm water. I hope the log on the left is appropriate. The fake rock formation on the right side is the main concern and priority replacement.

I not only sanded the decorations, but also the slate rock. Is this too much? Im planning on getting mores slate rock to line the floor or possibly make some formations. I seen other members displays and it has inspired me. Again, is sanding too far? Speaking of sand. I want to add some sand to the gaps on the floor the slate rock wont cover. Good or bad idea?

I'm also semi concerned about the flow of my filter. The main reason I purchased the 12" fake plants was to disrupt water flow from the spray bar. The outflow is at the lowest setting, the spray bar is facing the tank wall and slightly angled upwards to redirect flow to the surface. Do I still need a bubbler or air stone? I do not want to stress it out.

I'm in a weather controlled room and will be appropriate temperature year round. Aiming to keep it in the 19-20C/66-68F.

I hope you guys keep posting your setups. It will help me stay sane until I can have my own. ...one day
Sand is definitely fine, small gravel is not. ( I was confused with the too before this site.) Slate is completely safe, there is nothing wrong with sanding, fish tank decorations can be ridiculously sharp. Both hides look great!

madcaplaughs

Reaction score

IMHO, as long as you sand down any rough or sharp edges, the hides should be fine. It's also a good idea to sand down any sharp parts on the slate too (just for good measure), so I don't think it's overkill! I wish I could find hides like that around here lol.
You can put sand where the slate isn't if you'd like. Just note that the sand granules must be fine, so no gravel or anything gravel-y. Play sand is best, you can find it at most hardware shops. Just rinse it well. A lot of people also use CaribSea natural sand.
You don't need an air stone or bubbler. As long as you can disrupt the flow, it shouldn't stress the axolotl. Some don't mind flow at all. It just depends on the need of your animal.

Katie_Pie

Reaction score
On the weekend I moved my 3 mature males (1 wild type, 2 leucistics) to a new 200 litre tank. The left hand side has another level of hides above the first one, and I plan to do something similar on the other side.
The second picture is the 200 litre tank for my 3 juveniles (1 wild type, 2 coppers).
What type of rock is being used for the feeding area?

Mbnavy98

Reaction score
New axolotl and tank set up with plants. Hopefully grows in good. Currently can't turn on light is to bright they just hide. Awaiting new dimmable tank light.

Attachments

• 1610997577703459242781094257618.jpg
    1610997577703459242781094257618.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 251
  • 20210117_145453.jpg
    20210117_145453.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 289
  • 20210117_145846.jpg
    20210117_145846.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 314
  • 20210117_145910.jpg
    20210117_145910.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 259

marivan

Reaction score
I put slate tiles on my tank originally, but it was so hard to clean as the "dirt" ended up underneath the tiles, so last year I switched to black sand. She seems to like it better and I was able to plant some live plants. I'm a potter, so I made her the green log that she likes to hide in. I've even seen her stick her head out of the hole once! I rescued her from someone who was hardly cleaning her tank or feeding her, so she's filled out and even grown a bit since I got her.

Attachments

• bonnie.jpg
    bonnie.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 326

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
New axolotl and tank set up with plants. Hopefully grows in good. Currently can't turn on light is to bright they just hide. Awaiting new dimmable tank light.
i see snails in your tank!! i’ve wanted to try putting some in but don’t know wether to go big (so he can’t eat them) or small (so if he does it’s alright) - wanted to ask how it works for you and if you recommend it!

stillc

Reaction score
Here are my 2 tanks (I know the green one looks a little messy, anyway Jack loves it)
erd.PNG
gf.PNG

By the way, probably you could help me with my issue. I've got a filter for free, but as far as I understood it is mostly for turtles. Though could it probably be used for my fish tank.

TheAngel1270

Reaction score
This is my tank.
I live in Brazil 🇧🇷 that's why I have so many fans blowing on top of the tank, lool.
View attachment 85904
I have a question. What is holding your screen on the tank? I tried buying reptile screen clips and the bigger tank I have has too fat of a lip for them to reach, so I've got some others coming that are supposed to be longer. Just in case I'm always looking for ideas in case these don't work either.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1