Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamandra keepers please report in!

merk199

Reaction score
Just picked up a m/f (not sure about that) pair of salamandra salamandra. Pics do not do the yellow of the salamandra justice. I expected more of a yellow like my gallaica, but it is a popping yellow. I really need to post some pics soon...

Last edited by a moderator:

chris2009

Reaction score
Hi all,

my name is chris and i keep groups of the following subspecies of s.salamandra:
s.s.salamandra
s.s.terrestris
s.s.crespoi
s.s.longirostris
s.s.hispanica
i hope i find more subspecies and species of salamandra, mby next year i breed some of my subspezies and we can change...

greetings from germany and sry for my bad english

chris

Brian M

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I currently have a 3 to 4 year old captive breed female Salamandra salamandra terrestris. I purchased here back in May 2007 from a dealer here in Rhode Island when she was 3 inches in length. My question to the experts here is what is the difference between a Solling yellow and common striped terrestris.I believe she is a Solling but i'm not sure. She has a 48 gallon tank set up with a small water area which i'm planning to do over this week with Christmas money. I will post pics as i construct her new digs.

Brian

Molch

Reaction score
My current collection is:

S. s. terrestris ( Solling yellow and Solling red)
S. s. gigliolii
S. s. gallaica (Coimbra, Salvatierra, Serra de Grandola, Serra de Arrabida)
S. s. longirostris
S. corsica

I'm curious: what does "solling" mean? By any chance, is that the Solling hills in northern Germany near Goettingen/Holzminden? I used to go to U in Goettingen and remember many outings in the Solling...saw fire salamanders there, too but don't remember anything special about them.

Jay Redbond

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have just done husbandry guidelines for BIAZA on Salamandra salamandra species but I don't keep any infraimmaculata and algira. If people want to have a look at my husbandry guidelines here they are. Please let me know what you think of them I would love to know your opinions on my husbandry guideline.

Kind Regards
Jay

Attachments

• Fire Salamanders.pdf
    453.4 KB · Views: 1,843

peter5930

Reaction score
S. s. terrestris - sub-adult male and female, c/b 2007/2008.
S. s. gallaica - pair of juveniles, c/b 2009.
S. s. crespoi - juvenile, c/b 2009.

I got them a couple of weeks ago, and we've been getting used to each other. The gallacia juveniles are pretty bold, don't waste much time stalking their prey before grabbing and devouring it and are indifferent to the presence of the Giant Hand From Above, but the crespoi juvenile is timid and hides a lot, and it'll abandon the hunt if a prey item strays too far from it's hiding spot, or doesn't wriggle or twitch in just the right manner, or if it sees the Giant Hand From Above. One of the terrestris sub-adults is also a bit reclusive, but the other one is almost friendly and sometimes comes to the front of the vivarium and hangs out with me when I have the door open.

ummi

Reaction score
AW: Re: Salamandra keepers please report in!

Hello salamander friends,
i have wonderful S.S.Gallaicas, born 2008, the female has a weight of 48grams now;

Molch: Solling means exactly this aerea in Germany you wrote, and there live beautiful salamanders there, look here: push

greetings ummi

Attachments

• gallaica2008a.JPG
    gallaica2008a.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 3,299
  • gallaica2008.JPG
    gallaica2008.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 1,533

ummi

Reaction score

Yes, its Sierra de Grandola, hope they breed this year

eljorgo

Banned
Reaction score
Grandola? Well I might have to find some time to pay them a small visit! Sadly we cant keep them and I dont have even conditions to have these but some shots of them would be amazing :D Really Superb gallaicas.
I´ve find gallaicas from Coimbra with brown patches like those. Quite nice.

benw

Reaction score
Ummi, those are some of the nicest marked Grandolas i have seen, i hope the continue to do well for you

ummi

Reaction score

here few pictures of terrestris from south Germany,
ummi

Attachments

• S S terrestris.jpg
    S S terrestris.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 3,220
  • red terrestris.jpg
    red terrestris.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 1,789
  • young red terrestris.jpg
    young red terrestris.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 862
  • handzahm.jpg
    handzahm.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,760

chameleonstud

Reaction score
Where do you guys get your salamanders and whats the best choice for a begginner

Red Eft14

Reaction score
Man,what I'd do to get my hands on one of them,not many people that I know breed them in the U.S :(

JKoz

Reaction score
Be careful what you wish for, with popularity comes abuse... :(

naeff002

Reaction score
I only have
Salamandra algira algira
and coming
Salamandra atra atra

If I was aloud to keep the Salamandra salamandra sub-species I would have more.

azure89

Reaction score
I just stumbled upon this thread, I'm also in th U.S. and would be interested in keeping Salamandra, I was wondering if any of you are breeding any in the states and also what you do to ensure your salamadra don't get to hot in the summer

Triturus87

Reaction score
Hello,
I keep a little group of Salamandra s.terrestris Solling (high-yellow) and juvenil fastuosa...

smashtoad

Reaction score
Hi guys...it's nice to see so many people working with these guys. I have wanted to since I was a kid, but the temperature thing has always held me back. I don't have a basement or any way to keep them cool enough.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!