Salamandra keepers please report in!

Hey
Just joined the forum and saw the post and thought to add my name to the list. Have 1 S.s.salamandra sense 12/2013 and now looking to get 2 more and possibly start breeding. Pic below is my sal's home, can see a bit of his tail under the stump next to the pond.

Attachments

• 20140825_142647.jpg
    20140825_142647.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 511
What species is this? It's name is General Chow.
36937d1397451469-what-pets-does-everyone-own-a4.jpg

I'm so excited to be able to keep s. S. Terrestris! Thanks to the dedicated hobbyists who have kept and bred these.
483eb1d25358751a38b55a71b3d16bee.jpg

3a0ffec6f26ea88d85549b745553cff4.jpg

AW: Re: Salamandra keepers please report in!

What species is this?
Difficult (if not impossible) to tell the subspecies from that photo. But if I had to guess, I'd say it is a spotted fire salamander (Salamandra salamandra salamandra).

Re: AW: Re: Salamandra keepers please report in!

Reviving this thread. Given the US import ban on Salamandrids, I believe it's important for Fire Salamander keepers in the US to network. Please post if you are keeping fire salamanders. I keep several different types.

I keep
2x S.Salamandra
5x S.Gallaica Serra de Arrabida

I'm open to buying or trading for other Salamandra subspecies or...for Cynops Ensicauda.

Attachments

• IMG_5401.jpg
    IMG_5401.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 412
Nice Andrew. How old are your Serra de Arrabida?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back