Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamandra taxonomy

A

alan

Just browsing and musing, and playing with the NCBI Taxonomy Browser:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Taxonomy/Browser/wwwtax.cgi?id=57569
OK, so it says "The NCBI taxonomy database is not an authoritative source for nomenclature or classification - please consult the relevant scientific literature for the most reliable information." Well, the most authoratative source I know is right here, so...
Salamandra s. terrestris is not listed in the NCBI browser - which of the listed species is it most similar to?

Also, Serge I notice you didn't include terrestris in your paper:
From Europe to Africa and vice versa: evidence for multiple intercontinental dispersal in ribbed salamanders (Genus Pleurodeles). Veith M, Mayer C, Samraoui B, Barroso DD, Bogaerts S. JOURNAL OF BIOGEOGRAPHY 31 (1): 159-171 JAN 2004.
Is there a specific reason for this?

A

alan

Thank you for the link, very informative.

The reason for asking about terrestris is that there a lot of Salamandra mt cytochome B sequences listed in Genbank with that paper as the reference, but terrestris is not listed, e.g:

LOCUS AY336658 398 bp DNA linear VRT 28-FEB-2004
DEFINITION Salamandra salamandra salamandra cytochrome b (cytb) gene, partial
cds; mitochondrial.
ACCESSION AY336658
VERSION AY336658.1 GI:37911178
KEYWORDS .
SOURCE mitochondrion Salamandra salamandra salamandra
ORGANISM Salamandra salamandra salamandra
Eukaryota; Metazoa; Chordata; Craniata; Vertebrata; Euteleostomi;
Amphibia; Batrachia; Caudata; Salamandroidea; Salamandridae;
Salamandra.
REFERENCE 1 (bases 1 to 398)
AUTHORS Veith,M., Mayer,C., Samraoui,B., Donaire Barroso,D. and Bogaerts,S.
TITLE From Europe to Africa and vice versa: evidence for multiple
intercontinental dispersal in ribbed salamanders (Genus
Pleurodeles)
JOURNAL J. Biogeogr. 31 (1), 159-171 (2004)
REFERENCE 2 (bases 1 to 398)
AUTHORS Veith,M., Mayer,C., Samraoui,B., Donaire Barroso,D. and Bogaerts,S.
TITLE Direct Submission
JOURNAL Submitted (05-JUL-2003) Ecology, University Mainz, Institute of
Zoology, Saarstrasse 21, Mainz 55099, Germany

S

sergé

Alan, I think on Salamandra there must be much more Genbank data available but if they are all cyt B? I don't know. but i know Steinfartz and others (amongst them me of Salamandra algira with help from Salvador Carranza) have put Salamandra data in the Genbank.

A

alan

I'm guessing that because the Salamandra cytochrome B entries refer to your Pleurodeles paper, they are outgroups used to root dendrograms. I was interested because I would like to validate my new PCR assays. I'll try and get the paper from www.caudata.ru - thanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1