Salamandra taxonomy

A

alan

Just browsing and musing, and playing with the NCBI Taxonomy Browser:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Taxonomy/Browser/wwwtax.cgi?id=57569
OK, so it says "The NCBI taxonomy database is not an authoritative source for nomenclature or classification - please consult the relevant scientific literature for the most reliable information." Well, the most authoratative source I know is right here, so...
Salamandra s. terrestris is not listed in the NCBI browser - which of the listed species is it most similar to?

Also, Serge I notice you didn't include terrestris in your paper:
From Europe to Africa and vice versa: evidence for multiple intercontinental dispersal in ribbed salamanders (Genus Pleurodeles). Veith M, Mayer C, Samraoui B, Barroso DD, Bogaerts S. JOURNAL OF BIOGEOGRAPHY 31 (1): 159-171 JAN 2004.
Is there a specific reason for this?

Thank you for the link, very informative.

The reason for asking about terrestris is that there a lot of Salamandra mt cytochome B sequences listed in Genbank with that paper as the reference, but terrestris is not listed, e.g:

LOCUS AY336658 398 bp DNA linear VRT 28-FEB-2004
DEFINITION Salamandra salamandra salamandra cytochrome b (cytb) gene, partial
cds; mitochondrial.
ACCESSION AY336658
VERSION AY336658.1 GI:37911178
KEYWORDS .
SOURCE mitochondrion Salamandra salamandra salamandra
ORGANISM Salamandra salamandra salamandra
Eukaryota; Metazoa; Chordata; Craniata; Vertebrata; Euteleostomi;
Amphibia; Batrachia; Caudata; Salamandroidea; Salamandridae;
Salamandra.
REFERENCE 1 (bases 1 to 398)
AUTHORS Veith,M., Mayer,C., Samraoui,B., Donaire Barroso,D. and Bogaerts,S.
TITLE From Europe to Africa and vice versa: evidence for multiple
intercontinental dispersal in ribbed salamanders (Genus
Pleurodeles)
JOURNAL J. Biogeogr. 31 (1), 159-171 (2004)
REFERENCE 2 (bases 1 to 398)
AUTHORS Veith,M., Mayer,C., Samraoui,B., Donaire Barroso,D. and Bogaerts,S.
TITLE Direct Submission
JOURNAL Submitted (05-JUL-2003) Ecology, University Mainz, Institute of
Zoology, Saarstrasse 21, Mainz 55099, Germany

Alan, I think on Salamandra there must be much more Genbank data available but if they are all cyt B? I don't know. but i know Steinfartz and others (amongst them me of Salamandra algira with help from Salvador Carranza) have put Salamandra data in the Genbank.

I'm guessing that because the Salamandra cytochrome B entries refer to your Pleurodeles paper, they are outgroups used to root dendrograms. I was interested because I would like to validate my new PCR assays. I'll try and get the paper from www.caudata.ru - thanks.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back