Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Slime coat shedding and possibly fill fungus

AxolotlMama

Reaction score
I need some help. For the salt bath im doing daily i am using natural sea salt, no added preservatives. Is that ok? Also, I have found he definitely has gill fungus. The Indian Almond Leaf is helping alot but i need some help more on how to cure the fungus.
Follow these steps this is the salt bath steps.

AxolotlMama

Reaction score
Screenshot_20210924-140509_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210924-140520_Chrome.jpg

Jaeger

Reaction score
Follow these steps this is the salt bath steps.
I dont know if ishould continue to salt bath him. Apparently so many people have told me its too harsh or stresses them too much? Although he doesnt squirm about in it idk if i should keep doing it or stop. Either way hes tubbed with a IAL (indian almond keaf) and looks to be doing fine

AxolotlMama

Reaction score
I've done salts baths on a rescue and as long as you don't overload on salt and follow the measurements everything should be fine.

Jaeger

Reaction score
I've done salts baths on a rescue and as long as you don't overload on salt and follow the measurements everything should be fine.
Today I went to feed him and he wont eat? he was eating fine 3 days ago, and he looks pretty skinny. please help, what do i do?

AxolotlMama

Reaction score
Ive been trying my best and so far basically ALL of the fungus is gone except for one little dot, and hes stopped shedding. But now he looks skinny, and wont eat.
Try giving a different type of food if he's not eating the earth worms. Do you have pellets? You can try weening him back to eating with a snack like blood worms or crickets. Just stay persistent and he will get through this.

Last edited:

Jaeger

Reaction score
Try giving a different type of food if he's not eating the earth worms. Do you have pellets? You can try weening him back to eating with a snack like blood worms or chickens. Just stay persistent and he will get through this.
I tried bloodworms first, he spat them out. then i tried pellets and dont worry i soaked it before feeding it to him to not cause impaction. He shows interest int the food, but he chews it and spits it.

AxolotlMama

Reaction score
I tried bloodworms first, he spat them out. then i tried pellets and dont worry i soaked it before feeding it to him to not cause impaction. He shows interest int the food, but he chews it and spits it.
Did you try night crawlers and cut it up into small pieces?

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
im really nervous idk what to do, he looks so skinny and he wont eat :(
if it’s only been a few days since he last ate and he’s already looking very thin, i suspect parasites. i’ve never dealt with them so i have no real advice in this area

Jaeger

Reaction score
if it’s only been a few days since he last ate and he’s already looking very thin, i suspect parasites. i’ve never dealt with them so i have no real advice in this area
can you help me please how can i get him to eat and do u want photos

Jaeger

Reaction score
I also dont think he has parasites. because he has never been fed live worms, i suspect the reason for him not eating is because i gave him a tea bath that came straight from the fridge so i was dumb and put him into it straight away, the major temperature drop could have stressed him i believe

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
I also dont think he has parasites. because he has never been fed live worms, i suspect the reason for him not eating is because i gave him a tea bath that came straight from the fridge so i was dumb and put him into it straight away, the major temperature drop could have stressed him i believe
pictures would be helpful. it’s still possible he may have parasites, though i don’t know how it would have happened
it’s not your fault, please don't be convinced that it is. you were trying to do what you believed was best.

Jaeger

Reaction score
pictures would be helpful. it’s still possible he may have parasites, though i don’t know how it would have happened
it’s not your fault, please don't be convinced that it is. you were trying to do what you believed was best.
ok, ill send some photos

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!