Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

So far no morphing

Sarramy

Reaction score
After finding out that my wild type axolotl was actually a tiger salamander I became rather anxious for it to morph. I've been taking a bunch of pictures and I don't see any changes so far. I just wish I knew how much longer before it would happen. Yeah, I'm not terribly patient. :p

So I figured I'd start this thread and post pictures from time to time in the hopes that if it starts to morph, but I miss the signs, someone here will recognize what's going on. :D

Today's pics:

Attachments

• slaggy is cute 2.jpg
    slaggy is cute 2.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,147
  • slaggy is cute 3.jpg
    slaggy is cute 3.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 1,240
  • slaggy is cute.jpg
    slaggy is cute.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 1,055

schmiggle

Reaction score
Posting pictures every day is the best way to make it feel like your salamander is taking as long as possible. :p

But in all seriousness, there are some tiger salamander populations that are neotenic (I don't know why), so you may be waiting a very, very long time.

Sarramy

Reaction score
Well maybe not *every* day. :p I tend to take a lot of pictures though so I figure I might as well post.

And there are some tigers that do that? I did not know that. This whole tiger salamander thing has thrown me for a loop. I just have no idea what to expect.

And on that note... today he hasn't had much appetite, normally I take pictures after I feed him. He still posed for me though.

Attachments

• adorbs slaggy 1.jpg
    adorbs slaggy 1.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 692
  • adorbs slaggy 2.jpg
    adorbs slaggy 2.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 705
  • adorbs slaggy 5.jpg
    adorbs slaggy 5.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 772

Sarramy

Reaction score
Sorry for the double post... I would have edited my last post to add this but apparently there is no way to do that.

So I just was researching a little more and found this tidbit:
"A few populations of Tiger Salamanders in western North America and at high altitudes have a different method of development called "neoteny" or "paedogenesis."

I don't know where this tiger is from but I live in Colorado. I think that counts as western North American and high altitude. Is there anyway to determine what species this is?

schmiggle

Reaction score
I don't know how to tell A. mavortium from A. tigrinum, but both are known to have neotenic wild populations. See:
AmphibiaWeb - Ambystoma tigrinum
And
idahoherps / Ambystoma mavortium, Barred Tiger Salamander
I don't think it looks like, or is likely to be, a California tiger salamander. The tigrinum, at least, seem to become neotenic both through genetic predisposition and through environmental factors, and its posssible mavortium are the same way. I'd imagine that if you wanted it to morph, you could try beginning to lower the water level, and if not, you could keep it the same.

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Since tiger salamanders show a wide range of colors, it can be hard to identify where your salamander originally came from. It's most likely to come from the range of the Barred tiger salamander, Ambystoma mavitorium, as they are frequently collected from the vernal ponds they were collected from. Again, it is very likely they could be a different type, but A.mavitorium seems most likely. We won't know until it morphs though!

Sarramy

Reaction score
So very confusing!

I checked the links, schmiggle, and if that map is accurate then I live on the line between A.m.nebulosum and A.m.mavortium. So if they were caught locally it seems it could be either. If it was shipped to the shop from elsewhere though then that makes this even more difficult to figure out.

I just need to know which it's going to be, aquatic or terrestrial. Either is fine but I'm currently in a holding pattern on where to move his tank. And someone had suggested that I lower his water level already but now I'm wondering if that's just stressing him out more. If he's not going to morph, or he's not ready, then a higher water level would give him more space, plus be easier to maintain proper water parameters.

I may try calling the shop where I bought him and see if they have any info at least on where he's from but I'm not holding my breath. They sold him to me as an axolotl.

Sarramy

Reaction score
Slaggy hasn't had much of an appetite the last couple days, but I also am getting conflicting info on how much and how often to feed him. So maybe it's not a big deal, maybe he's just not hungry. He's not showing any interest in sitting on the top of the pot (at the level where I lowered the water) but he has taken to sitting on top of the plants. Still completely submerged though.

He wouldn't slow down enough for me to get many pictures tonight.

Attachments

• swimmy slaggy.jpg
    swimmy slaggy.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 696

schmiggle

Reaction score
You just can't win, can you? :)
But in all honesty, you could probably just try leaving the water level up and letting him do his thing one way or the other. Just basically a guess, but I figure it can't hurt, right? Then you could basically just have your axolotl.

Sarramy

Reaction score
I actually ordered a couple juvie axies and got them a couple days ago. Such cute little things. We're definitely attached to Slaggy so whatever life choice he chooses is fine with us. I just want to know! LOL

He ate a worm today. It put up a heck of a fight though. Took about a full three minutes or more for him to actually eat it. It escaped from his mouth more than once. Feisty little wormy. Hehe Slag won though. So that made me happy.

He was sitting on another plant today. Such a silly Slagathor. lol

Attachments

• silly slaggy.jpg
    silly slaggy.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 691

Donna001

Reaction score
Congratulations on getting him to eat a worm. It's often quite fun to watch. It is similar with my juvenile axolotls, but with the mature ones it's more like a disappearing act. It's magic.
Also glad to hear that you have managed to get some juvenile axolotls. What have you got? Will you post some pictures?
Your salamander is a handsome fella though, lovely markings. :happy:

anonymoose

Reaction score
Well maybe not *every* day. :p I tend to take a lot of pictures though so I figure I might as well post.

And there are some tigers that do that? I did not know that. This whole tiger salamander thing has thrown me for a loop. I just have no idea what to expect.

And on that note... today he hasn't had much appetite, normally I take pictures after I feed him. He still posed for me though.

The patterns showing on his skin are beautiful. My Tiger salamander had recently morphed, and still has yet to show signs of a confirmed adult pattern.​

supergrappler

Reaction score
Hopefully your tiger will be neotenic. Just keep it cool, keep lighting to a minimum and supply plenty of hides.

Sarramy

Reaction score
I got 2 golden albino axies. Super cute little things. I do wish now that I'd bought two of different colors. I can't tell them apart. LOL They are about 3-4 inches currently. I need to change out the substrate in their tank though. I wasn't thinking about it but with their coloration and the color of the sand it makes taking pictures difficult. Everything looks yellow. Heh.

Slaggy ate another worm today. It didn't put up as much of a fight this time. I do also give him feeder fish from time to time (from a reliable source, no parasites), and occasional cubes of blood worms, mysis shrimp, and beef heart, so to make sure he has a varied diet.

I have also found differing info about how cool to keep the tanks. One page I read said between 60-64, another said 65-68, and another said between 65-72. Kind of a wide range. Mine tends to run between 64 at night to 68 during the day.

Attachments

• slaggy 0512 a.jpg
    slaggy 0512 a.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 707
  • slaggy 0512 b.jpg
    slaggy 0512 b.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 875
  • slaggy 0512 c.jpg
    slaggy 0512 c.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,216
  • thing2.jpg
    thing2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 630
  • thing1 a.jpg
    thing1 a.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 768
  • thing1 b.jpg
    thing1 b.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 668

Donna001

Reaction score
I love the pictures of Slaggy with the worm poking out of his mouth. That made me chuckle. Congratulations on getting him to eat, he really is a handsome fella.
Your axis are very cute. They are quite adorable at that age/size. Perhaps you will be able to tell them apart from the iridophore patterns on their sides, for example I'd say that the last 2 pictures are of the same axolotl because I think I can see the top part of a circular "sunshine" pattern of iridophores just behind his front leg. It may just take some time and getting used to them before you can tell them apart.
Best of luck with all of your little ones. :happy:

Sarramy

Reaction score
I love the worm pictures too. Looks like he's sticking out his tongue. lol He's such a funny little guy. My husband was moving around some decorations and he came up and sat on his fingers. So cute!

And yeah, that is the same axie in both the last pictures. That's a good observation about the sunburst pattern. I have been wanting to name them but it seemed kind of pointless if I couldn't tell them apart, so that helps a lot. :) Thanks!

AmbystoMan

Reaction score
Hello from France,

Your salamander is very nice,

according to me it's a blotched tiger salamander, ambystoma mavortium MELANOSTICTUM,

^^

Sarramy

Reaction score
Ah now that could be. I did try calling the shop and they, of course, had no idea. So your guess could very well be correct. It does kind of sound like Slag. :) Thanks.

Sarramy

Reaction score
Still no signs or morphing but he's still just as cute at ever. :)

Attachments

• slaggy 051416.jpg
    slaggy 051416.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 724
  • slaggy 051416 2.jpg
    slaggy 051416 2.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 912
  • slaggy 051416 3.jpg
    slaggy 051416 3.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 746
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!