Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

So far no morphing

Sarramy

Reaction score
Eep! I'm not prepared for him to change THAT fast. Eek. Here's today's pic. I cleaned out his water and now he's resting on the small land area I was able to make for him. I don't think he's quite ready to leave the water completely, but maybe he's closer than I thought.

Any ideas on when I need to have his new home ready for him? Any chance he'll make it until Thursday? My husband gets paid then so I'm a bit limited on what I can do in the meantime. I'll figure something out though if I need to.

Attachments

• he grows so fast.jpg
    he grows so fast.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 598

Sarramy

Reaction score
Well he may be answering that question for me. He went back in the water for most of the evening but now he's back on the land area, trying real hard to dig into the sand. So tomorrow morning we'll be preparing his new home. I don't think I can wait longer.

Sarramy

Reaction score
We set up Slaggy's new tank today. I found someone nearby that was selling a 20 gal long so I got some organic top soil, a bark hide, and a large turtle shell (it came with the tank). We turned the shell upside down and filled it with dechlorinated water, just in case Slag wants to still be in the water. When we moved him over we put him at the edge of the water so he could choose where he wanted to be. He went into the water for a minute but the crawled out and started digging into the dirt. Within 5 minutes he had vanished. I think he's a happy Slaggy. Hopefully he'll start eating again soon. I put a couple worms in a shallow food dish for him and now they are gone. I don't know if he ate them or if they crawled away into the dirt. Is that a problem? Could I just put all his worms into the tank with him? Or if that's not okay, is there a way to stop them from crawling away?

Sarramy

Reaction score
Here's a picture of Slagathor's new tank. It's rather plain and boring right now, but hopefully this weekend I can get at least one plant and start making it look decent.

Attachments

• slags new tank.jpg
    slags new tank.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 529

Donna001

Reaction score
This is quite exciting. It's amazing to see the new set up, it's great.
I think I remember seeing on the thread about Jabba morphing that worms escaping into the substrate is not a problem, I think it was suggested that they could be "snack for later". :happy:
It may be worth having a quick review of that thread to check.

Sarramy

Reaction score
I'll check again. I don't remember seeing that but I also wasn't at that stage yet so I may have glassed over it. :)

Sarramy

Reaction score
Slag still isn't eating, but I think he might soon. Today he was actually on the surface so I took the opportunity to dangle a worm in front of him. He snapped at it but couldn't manage to get it. I put it in his shallow bowl and placed him near the bowl too. He snapped at it again but then gave up. He seems to be having a problem figuring out how to eat on land. I hope he figures it out soon.

I got a few more pictures. He looks so different now. He was actually sitting on his bark hide at one point. I tried to get a picture but it came out a bit blurry.

Attachments

• standing on hide.jpg
    standing on hide.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 551
  • slaggy morphed.jpg
    slaggy morphed.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 540
  • slaggy morphed 2.jpg
    slaggy morphed 2.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 559
  • slaggy morphed 3.jpg
    slaggy morphed 3.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 504

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have a bowl of water, with an inch or so of water, you might find that he will feed in that until he realises that he can also feed on land. Also a few escaped worms will be fine, they'll be a snack for later :)

Sarramy

Reaction score
I haven't had a chance to get more pictures lately, but I do have good news... Slaggy ate a worm today! I'm so relieved.

Sarramy

Reaction score
Slagathor almost ended up in the toilet today! Slag has taken to hanging out in his water bowl at times and so the water gets rather dirty. Well today my husband pulled out the bowl to clean it and right before he dumped the water in the toilet he noticed a very large dirt piece. Looked a little closer, sure enough, there was Slag, chillin' in the water. Good thing he noticed in time! That could have ended badly.

He's eating so good now. Hungry little thing. He gobbles down huge nightcrawlers. His belly gets so fat after eating. We know he's hungry when he comes to the surface now. We'll go over to the tank and he'll follow us from side to side. When we put our hands in he lunges at our fingers. LOL He's so freakin' cute!

Here's a picture of Slag after he was saved from being dumped in the toilet. lol

Attachments

• chubby slag.jpg
    chubby slag.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 616

Joep

Reaction score
After finding out that my wild type axolotl was actually a tiger salamander I became rather anxious for it to morph. I've been taking a bunch of pictures and I don't see any changes so far. I just wish I knew how much longer before it would happen. Yeah, I'm not terribly patient. :p

So I figured I'd start this thread and post pictures from time to time in the hopes that if it starts to morph, but I miss the signs, someone here will recognize what's going on. :D

Today's pics:
i had a big unmorphed tigermama last year,she produced many hybrids,but when weather got hot they almost all morphed,so keep them cool

Sith the turtle

Reaction score
Slagathor almost ended up in the toilet today! Slag has taken to hanging out in his water bowl at times and so the water gets rather dirty. Well today my husband pulled out the bowl to clean it and right before he dumped the water in the toilet he noticed a very large dirt piece. Looked a little closer, sure enough, there was Slag, chillin' in the water. Good thing he noticed in time! That could have ended badly.

He's eating so good now. Hungry little thing. He gobbles down huge nightcrawlers. His belly gets so fat after eating. We know he's hungry when he comes to the surface now. We'll go over to the tank and he'll follow us from side to side. When we put our hands in he lunges at our fingers. LOL He's so freakin' cute!

Here's a picture of Slag after he was saved from being dumped in the toilet. lol

Oh dear that would have been bad! Good thing Slag's alright though! He/She looks very pretty!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!