Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Taricha Granulosa

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I now have sitting on my kitchen window ledge a little group of this years captive bred German Taricha granulosa. They are approximately 2" in length and incredibly gorgeous :D They are currently fed white worm and small earthworm, they are fully aquatic except for the odd venture up the side of the glass.

Attachments

• Taricha granulosa 2013 x10 016.JPG
    Taricha granulosa 2013 x10 016.JPG
    177 KB · Views: 1,376
  • Taricha granulosa 2013 x10 019.JPG
    Taricha granulosa 2013 x10 019.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 842
  • Taricha granulosa 005.JPG
    Taricha granulosa 005.JPG
    121.5 KB · Views: 772
Last edited:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Just 10 she says....no, no..just rub it in will you?
Best of lucks with the sex ratios, we want to see you producing bucket fulls of these in a few years ;)

sde

Reaction score
AAAHHHHH i love T. Granulosa! they live around here too! They look great as well! i wish i could have bred mine but no eggs :(. They were in amplexus within a few hours after putting them in aquatic phase. Hoping they aren't all males! i cant find any males anywhere! last year i found 16 newts and only 2 were males. Congrats! -Seth

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Lovely animals! When they do breed they really go for it - Patrick had a couple of hundred for sale this year!
How quickly do you think they'll reach maturity?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe it will be around four years.
These are offered a land area which they have rarely used so far. It seems that this group that he has raised seem to have stayed aquatic. I wonder if they choose to stay aquatic, if they reach maturity at a different age.
I am quite patient so will quietly wait and see.

vince59

Reaction score
hello, they are very beautiful. Maturity is around 4 years. I have Gerfeld acquisition of juveniles in Germany. They can stay water all the time. I advise you a contribution in brine which gives a beautiful orange belly.

Niels D

Reaction score
Patrick S. from Germany. I've got 8 of his juvies this year standing in my living room right now. They're doing very well. Geordie shore Cliff is going to pick them up though.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
These little ones seem to be growing well :)

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 612
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 607
  • 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 633

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Most of the little lovelies are now just over 3'' in length. They have progressed from live daphnia and white worm to earthworms. They are quite convinced that if the continuously beg for food, there will be a constant supply.

Attachments

• 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 572
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 579
  • 023.JPG
    023.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 548
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 688

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
One by one, since the 23/1/14, I have had them dieing. It looks like something has poisoned them. I am down to three now, with one not looking too good.

I had fed them their usual meal of earthworms before going to work. When I returned two were dead. One by one they begin to float and curl up and then die, one appeared to go through a spell of convulsions . The live daphnia in their tank where still merrily swimming around.
I had my last order of earthworms for over a month and nothing appears amiss. These are kept in one of two worm buckets and fed vegetable peelings( I buy organic so I am reasonably happy there was nothing nasty on them). I have emptied the aquarium and nothing appeared amiss. The water quality was checked when the first became ill with my test kit, and a sample was tested at the local aquatic centre and that was spot on.

All my other animals that are fed from the same worm bin are good. I am at a loss to know what has caused this.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1