Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

FYI: Very strange Axolotl color morph...

J

jacob

I found this guy the other day. He looks to be half albino and the other half leucistic, it's weird.

80564.jpg

K

kaysie

A closeup would be warranted, but it looks like it has black eyes from here.

P

paul-mark

Does the little fellah have one black eye and one pink one?!

J

jacob

One eye is black. The other one looks like a white albino eye. The only thing weird about the albino eye is that if you look really close at it, you can see a few small black dots on it. I will for sure post more pics of this guy as he grows. One set of gill stalks (on the side w/the black eye) also have small freckles, but on the other set there is no pigment, just white body with pink gills.

J

jacob

Well, the eye does have some pigment, but it is not a black eye.
There also appears to be yellowish markings on it's gills and sides.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

K

kaysie

Well, it's not albino, as then there would be no black pigment on the one side.

But it's definitely cool.

P

paul-mark

It looks seriously *special* Jacob! Can't wait to see it when it's a full-blown adult...

Where did you get it from or is it home-grown? I'm wondering, however, if the left eye is under-developed.

J

jacob

Yes, the axolotl was offspring from a cross of one of my original female wild-types, and a male white albino. Fortunately, I know which two they are. Even if the left eye is under-developed, I still like it. It is the strangest coloured one I've ever raised. I've been feeding it heavily with cyclops and separated it from the rest.

C

cameron

Maybe the second eye didn't develope correctly as an embryo in the egg. Just a thought.

J

jacob

I don't know, we'll see. It could turn out to be a patchy axolotl with one undersized eye.

J

jacob

Hey, that's a great name, I've just been calling him Gary. I think he'll be "Pirate" from now on.

J

jacob

the little guy (or girl) is doing good, I have been feeding it cyclops, daphnia and small fairy shrimp.

J

jacob

It's finally getting nubs of back legs, still growing fast like they tend to do

A

annmarie

Hey- very interesting guy. Cannot wait to see the further development of Pirate Gary's colouration.

On another note, this got me thinking, I wonder if chimerism in axolotl is possible. I have only heard of it in mammals. Myabe Mosaicism would be possible?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!