FYI: Very strange Axolotl color morph...

J

jacob

I am holding on to it for breeding in the future. Hopefully there will be more!

L

lorie

hahaha Jack Sparrow:p HAHA our axies could make a new pirates of the carribean film (I got one called The Kracken)haha

J

jacob

Now you can see the back legs. The lighter gills are much shorter than the ones on the darker side.

J

jay

Maybe pirate will turn out as a golden Leucistic. Jacob i think you just designed a new coloured axolotl lol. What colour are the parents? Golden albino and Leucistic, yes

S

sinead

oh and he said the parents were a female wild type and a male white albino

J

jacob

Sinead's right, the male was white albino and the female was a wild-type. This is the only larvae from the clutch (originally 200 larvae)that was different from the rest. None of it's sibblings are white or gold albino, all are wild-type and leucistic. Some of the leucistics have lighter eyes than I am used to, or I'm just seeing things, I'll try to post a pic of some of them.

Jake

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jacob Bidinger
Update on "Pirate Gary"

He's grown quite a bit. Now he's about 3.5 inches long and eating inch long earthworms. I'll post more pics of him/her as soon as I can. The set of gills with no pigment are much shorter than the other set.

I think I was just imagining that it's sibbling's eyes were lighter, but Pirate is still a stunner.

Last edited:

peterj

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
PeterJ
His whole left side seems to be lighter, as if the pigment cells were distributed lopsided in his early development. Are there any records of chimeric axolotls (individuals formed from fused embryos).

mantighoul

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Country
Italy
...as for chimeras

Oh chimeric embryos, that is exciting, well most i know are ones creted in the laboratory. In a certain stage of developement they will fuse two parts of two eggs togethere and axolotl will form. Use to study things like fusing a genetically fatal disorder guy with a heathy one, study of pigmentation, cell ressearch, grafting, etc. I will just say this, the way axolol immune system handles transplants is amazing, if your ever up for a fun read! I do not know of any chimeric axolotls outside of the laboratory.

you know that picture of those axolotls with a black head and a white body? Laboratory Chimera from my understanding.

Jake

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jacob Bidinger
Pirate Gary Update Photo.

Here he is today, what do you think?

Attachments

• pirategar.jpg
    pirategar.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 24,666
  • pirategary.jpg
    pirategary.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 1,440

kiwitwist

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Sarah
So weird!! Thanks for continuing to update on this guy!! It's VERY interesting!!

mantighoul

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Country
Italy
There is something interesting going on here. Thanks for the pics. fascinating, indeed. Definately appear similar in appearnce to a chimeric creature, but, I do not know how a chimeric individual could be creted in a creature that uses external fetilization. I may lean that it could be exhibiting mosaicsm (two populations of cells with different genotypes in one individual fromone fertilized egg) I am mostly only familiar with this condition in humans. In the lab, mosaicism is studied in Drosophila that i am aware of. Argh starting bio-lab classes is not coming soon enough :p

this article is about Endopolyploidy and there is a section of it relating to axolotl discussing mosaics, "chromosomal chimeras"
http://www.pnas.org/cgi/reprint/38/12/1073.pdf

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Very interesting, Jacob, I'm glad to see that this guy is healthy and doing well.:D I can't wait to see him/her as an adult.

I do not know how a chimeric individual could be creted in a creature that uses external fetilization.
Umm, axolotls do have internal fertilization. I don't know enough about chimerism to understand exactly how matters. My thought was that there could have been a somatic mutation when the embryo was at the 2-cell stage, resulting in such a half-and-half animal, but I'm sure there are other mechanisms as well.

Jake

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Jacob Bidinger
The male (who is Pirate Gary's father) belonged to a friend across town, but he's moving out of state and couldn't bring them with, so he sold him to me.

Attachments

• pg.jpg
    pg.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 4,755
  • pg3.jpg
    pg3.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 1,218
  • pg4.jpg
    pg4.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 3,814

naymo

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Display Name
Sinead Culling
I love this little guy.
Hes absolutely stunning.
Good on him for being different!:D

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Kaysie
Pirate Gary is pretty spiffy. Chimaerism is alive and well!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Chamoxnle:
    My new axolotl enjoys floating. He doesn't seem stressed, or like he's being forced to float. He just likes to chill at the top. Why do some enjoy floating around? Most of my other axolotls are content staying stationary, but this one just continues to move, only stopping to eat. Again, he doesn't seem stressed, and it's not a fretful swim.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    Hi, Im fairly new to keeping axolotls. I have to lil buddies that I got a few months back. They were doing fine, up until a month ago when one got fungus in his gills. Took him out to fridge him, then the other guy got it too. I'm currently fridging both and doing salt baths for one (not enough fridge space to keep that much pretreated water for both at the same time). Its been hard to tell if its helping or not and then about a week and half ago one of my axies had a bunch of weird white goop in the water. I immediately changed it, happened a tiny bit again, then seemed to be okay. I had returned him to the tank, but it happened again. Back to the fridge but wanted hear from people who knew more
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    I have pictures. Tried looking through other peoples questions, but couldnt find the same white goop.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    @Kailynom My cousin (who i got my baby axies from) had the same problem. She developed an allergy to the bloodworms she was feeding them and it got really bad. To the point where her throat would close up just being around the bloodworms. Happened within a few months. Be safe :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    @MadamePirateOwl Fridging is best left to life-or-death situations, and salt baths are unnecessarily harsh, stressful, and abrasive. I'd suggest doing tea baths instead (using caffeinated black tea, where the only ingredient is black tea).
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    so no idea what the goop is?
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    Hard to tell without a photo, but might be algae or fungus floating. Water changes will take care of that.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    It definitely came from the axolotl. Looked to be mixed into poo the first time. Can I post the photos here?
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    Im not actually sure how i would post it. It seems to want a link
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    Its fairly thick and chunky
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    (Also thanks for your patience and help!)
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    You could always upload the photo to imgur and link it back here
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    The second image was how it looked the first time, it was mixed with some other poop like stuff. after that its been small and without the poopy stuff
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    The second photo looks reminiscent of partially-digested worms, though I've never seen anything like that. Have you checked your parameters lately?
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    Right now theyre in smaller tubs that i do daily water changes in
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    I'll admit Ive bought test strips but they havent come in yet
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    I use Prime to dechlorinate the water, which was recommend by the girl I got them from
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    For now I'd tub the axolotl and do daily 100% water changes until you're able to test your parameters
    +1
    Unlike
  • madcaplaughs:
    I'd also recommend ordering a liquid test kit such as the API Freshwater Master Test Kit since strips are generally unreliable and inaccurate.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MadamePirateOwl:
    Okay, thank you for your help and advice :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • k.em:
    anybody growing tylototriton?
    +2
    Unlike
  • pixxie:
    +1
    Unlike
  • pixxie:
    hi I’m looking for some insight, it would really help if you could check out what I have written^
    +1
    Unlike
    pixxie: hi I’m looking for some insight, it would really help if you could check out what I have written^ +1