Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What hardy newts are suitable for 22-25 degrees?

ntny

Reaction score
hi guys

i read this on the FAQ
The most widely available newt species, Cynops orientalis, is very sensitive to warm temperatures and often arrives to pet stores in poor condition. Here are some species that are more hardy: Pleurodeles waltl, Tylototriton verrucosus, Cynops pyrrhogaster, and Cynops ensicauda. These four species can tolerate temps above 21°C (72°F) as long as they are healthy. None of these species is readily available in a pet shop , except occasionally C. pyrrhogaster. To obtain the others you need to find a breeder.

i have choosen
1) Tylototriton verrucosus
2) Cynops ensicauda

may i know if Cynops pyrrhogaster and Cynops cyanurus. which is better handling higher temps like 22-25 degrees?

and also Pleurodeles waltl . i read we should keep at 21 degrees in the caresheet but it is ok to keep them at 22-25 degrees?

how about the Pseudobranchus axanthus dwarf siren? can it tolerate these temps at 22-25degrees?

the reason i asked is because i set my chiller to off at 22 degrees and on at 25 degrees.
i didn't want my chiller to be running all the time. setting to 22-25 degrees it turns on only 6 times per day 1.5 hours each time. save me alot electricity bills.

also another reason i can't go down beyond 22 degrees is the huge amount of water condensation occurs at below 22 degrees. i have tried 16-18 degrees and really a lot of water on the floor the next day :p i get a scolding from my spouse... :cry:

thanks.

ntny

Reaction score
hi guys

below is my first 1.5ft tank. cycled for 1 week and ready for some newts next 2 weeks.

the thing on the top is the 200w TEM chiller which can cool down to 18 degrees and below if left running for 24hours...lolx.
and the thing on the left bottom is a small 9w 550L/hr pump pumping water to the TEM chiller to cool down.
it can also pump up to 1.3m high if i extend another 2 more tank up the rack. then i will have a headache to design a over flow system for 3 tanks to work with one pump and one chiller...lolx.

but for now it is simple one tank one pump and one chiller also i added a fake plants for newts to play and hide there.
the whole tank is insulated with 1inch Styrofoam except the front for viewing.

what do you think about this simple setup? thanks

CMabE9D.png

CMabE9D

Last edited:

sde

Reaction score
may i know if Cynops pyrrhogaster and Cynops cyanurus. which is better handling higher temps like 22-25 degrees?

I am pretty sure C. cyanurus can tolerate higher temperatures.

and also Pleurodeles waltl . i read we should keep at 21 degrees in the caresheet but it is ok to keep them at 22-25 degrees?

P. waltl should be kept below 21 C, so nothing above 21 C is safe.

how about the Pseudobranchus axanthus dwarf siren? can it tolerate these temps at 22-25degrees?

I am not sure about that species, but the Narrow-striped dwarf siren can be kept at 21-27 C.

but for now it is simple one tank one pump and one chiller also i added a fake plants for newts to play and hide there.
the whole tank is insulated with 1inch Styrofoam except the front for viewing.

I would add more plants, or else the newts might get stressed and may not eat. It would be best to add more.

Hope this helps! -Seth

ntny

Reaction score
hi seth,

i didnt see you online for a long time??? hey thanks for your great advice as usual.

ok for me i have choosen and decided on keeping these below
1)Tylototriton verrucosus
2)
Cynops ensicauda popei or C. cyanurus, if i can't find any C.ensicauda popei. i think they are rather rare.
OK NO to
P. waltl - thanks for advice and confimation on the Temps.
3) how about Triturus cristatus?
4) Adding more plants... how about a piece of driftwood instead which provides some dry land?
5) Do you think my Temp Range 22-25 degrees is OK?
thanks

ntny

Reaction score
hi guys

some action of my chiiler during testing. it ran a straight 3 hours from 32 to 22 degrees.
then stop for 2.5 hours for a rest and start again for 1.5 hours from 25-22 again and on and on...ahahhaa.

lots of condensation.

9dGpmam.jpg

WwTdrMk.jpg

sde

Reaction score
hi seth,

i didnt see you online for a long time??? hey thanks for your great advice as usual.

I am online everyday, sometimes twice, but I think its because of the time difference from where we live.

ok for me i have choosen and decided on keeping these below
1)Tylototriton verrucosus
2)
Cynops ensicauda popei or C. cyanurus, if i can't find any C.ensicauda popei. i think they are rather rare.

Good choices.

3) how about Triturus cristatus?

I would not recommend keeping that species at a consistent temperature over 22 C.

4) Adding more plants... how about a piece of driftwood instead which provides some dry land?

Well, I small land area would be a good idea, but some more plants would be great as well. If you cant get any more plants though, then yes, a piece of driftwood or something would be good.

5) Do you think my Temp Range 22-25 degrees is OK?

OK for what?

-Seth

ntny

Reaction score
hi seth

thanks again
1) OK NO to Triturus cristatus. very tempting ... thanks for advice
2) i will add a big drif wood to see how it looks in my tank.
3) OK i will just stick to these 2 species for now Tylototriton verrucosus and Cynops ensicauda popei OR Cynops cyanurus

i hope they will do well in my care. cheers!

ntny

Reaction score
hi guys

i added one drift wood to my tank. as you can see it has some dry land area on the top.
not sure if thats enough for aquatic newts? the tank looks a little cramp now. do i need to add another plant?

thanks

PHhJ6Cl.png

sde

Reaction score
The tank looks better with the driftwood :)

However I would remove the fish because fish and newts don't usually mix well. -Seth

ntny

Reaction score
hi seth

no worries the fish is to cycle the tank.
once done i will put the fish back to its own tank with his mates.

do i need more plants?

hehehehe

sde

Reaction score
hi seth

no worries the fish is to cycle the tank.
once done i will put the fish back to its own tank with his mates.

do i need more plants?

hehehehe

Ok sounds good.

Well, I wouldn't say you need more plants, but it would definitely be preferable.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1