Caudata.org 2009 calendar photo competition

Daniel Weiner

Daniel Weiner - Ambystoma mexicanum

file_1783.jpg

Daniel Weiner - Ambystoma mavortium (Photo 1)

file_1781.jpg

Daniel Weiner - Ambystoma mavortium (Photo 2)

file_1780.jpg

Daniel Weiner - Tylototriton kweichowensis

file_1811.jpg

Daniel Weiner - Neurergus kaiseri

file_1810.jpg

Last edited:
Mark, are those really c. orientialis? i have never seen such a color pattern before.

They look like orientalis to me but they do have very interesting markings. They're Ralph's, so maybe he can shed some light on them.

AW: Caudata.org 2009 calendar photo competition

I have a group of these "Cynops orientalis" - newts with unusual skin texture and dorsal markings. They were sorted out from a shipment of "ordinary" Chinese dwarf newts by another German hobbyist at a wholesale trading facility. So no locality data for these.
There are basically two possible explanations for the colouration of these newts:
1) a rare colour variant occurring in "usual" populations,
2) individuals of a population of "unusually" coloured Cynops orientalis respectively something closely related to C.o..
Belly colouration, for example, looks rather "orientalis-like" and does not fit the description of e.g. Cynops orphicus. Thus, one has to stick with "Cynops orientalis" for these.

For pictures of other differently coloured Cynops orientalis see: http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Cynops/C_orientalis.shtml

This thread is reserved for the 2009 Calendar competition however, so for further discussion of the matter a new thread would have to be started in the "Species, Genus and Family Discussions"-section.

Laurent Lemercier

Laurent Lemercier - Lissotriton vulgaris (Photo 1)

file_1791.jpg

Laurent Lemercier - Lissotriton vulgaris (Photo 2)

file_1790.jpg

Laurent Lemercier - Cynops ensicauda (Photo 1)

file_1789.jpg

Laurent Lemercier - Cynops ensicauda (Photo 2)

file_1788.jpg

Laurent Lemercier -Ambystoma maculatum

file_1787.jpg

This years competition has only 7 days left before it closes! The quality of photos this year has been fantastic and we're going to have a very hard time choosing the winners. The judging process starts next Wednesday and winners will be announced by John once voting has ended.

If you still have shots to enter you’d better make it quick. We don’t want you to miss out - although there is always next year :D.

Thanks to all participants.

Gosh some of these are good....

Travis Dimler

As if by magic - minutes later they appear...

Travis Dimler - Ensatina eschscholtzii picta

file_1802.jpg

Travis Dimler - Plethodon elongatus

file_1803.jpg

Travis Dimler - Aneides lugubris (photo 1)

file_1799.jpg

Travis Dimler - Aneides lugubris (photo 2)

file_1800.jpg

Travis Dimler - Taricha granulosa

file_1798.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe we can make this year's calendar one of those boxed "daily" calendars, where you have a picture and page for each day of the year... there are just about enough WONDERFUL pictures...

There are a lot of wonderful entries this year and I think we are looking forward to a great calendar.
I already have my favorites but it will be hard to cut them down to 13...
Very well done everyone!

AW: Caudata.org 2009 calendar photo competition

Are we supposed to enhance our photos? I just left them as they came out of the camera.

Hi Ralf, as long as the image still complies with the minimum size requirements you can crop and adjust your photo as much as you want. We ask for the original to avoid people submitting tiny files.

All the final cropping and colour adjustment is done by John before it's submitted to Café Press, so it’s not essential, but I can understand from a judging perspective you may want your shots to look as good as they can.

If you want to adjust any, re-submit them and I’ll make sure this thread is updated before judging commences.

John Schwarzkopf

John Schwarzkopf - Salamandra bernardezi

file_1809.jpg

Re: John Schwarzkopf

About 24 hours now folks.

Jorge Góis

Jorge Góis - Triturus marmoratus

file_1815.jpg

Jorge Góis - Tylototriton shanjing (photo 1)

file_1816.jpg

Jorge Góis - Tylototriton shanjing (photo 2)

file_1817.jpg

Jorge Góis - Tylototriton shanjing (photo 3)

file_1818.jpg

Jorge Góis - Tylototriton shanjing (photo 4)

file_1819.jpg

Robin Knox

Robin Knox - Cynops orientalis

file_1824.jpg

Robin Knox - Tylototriton kweichowensis (photo 1)

file_1820.jpg

Robin Knox - Tylototriton kweichowensis (photo 2)

file_1821.jpg

Robin Knox - Lissotriton vulgaris (photo 1)

file_1822.jpg

Robin Knox - Lissotriton vulgaris (photo 2)

file_1823.jpg

Sam Henry

Sam Henry - Lissotriton larvae (photo 1)

file_1825.jpg

Sam Henry - Lissotriton larvae (photo 2)

file_1826.jpg

Sam Henry - Lissotriton vulgaris

file_1827.jpg

Sam Henry - Paramesotriton species (photo 1)

file_1828.jpg

Sam Henry - Paramesotriton species (photo 2)

file_1829.jpg

Only 3 hours left! All valid entries submitted before midnight GMT will be uploaded to the thread tomorrow.

Good luck everyone. I think it's safe to say we're going to have a cracking calendar this year.

sorry forgot to say the species, helveticus larvae, and the paramesotriton is hongkongensis

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back