Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamandera Laurel and Hardy

Natalie

Reaction score
I'm sooo excited! I have quintuplet fire salamanders! They are now just over 2 weeks old. I have raised many newt and axolotl larvae, but this is a bit different. No "jumping" for food as I am used to. Actually I don't see them eating at all. One is so fat, I am worried I am overfeeding, one or two are normal, and two or three are extremely skinny. Until now, I only remove dead food, hoping the skinny ones will put weight on. Anything I should be doing differently?

Natalie

Reaction score
IMG_20210204_133923088.jpg

JM29

Reaction score
Nice pics, but are the five in the same tank or separate ones ?
Even with enough food, problems of dominance within caudates are frequent.
Moreover, cannibalistic trends are widespread in Salamandra larvae.
Perhaps the skinny ones would thrive better in separate tanks.

Natalie

Reaction score
Thanks. I had them outside in the garage separated before, but unfortunately I had to bring them in and put them together as it's just gotten so cold. Most of my other animals are also inside now, so it's a question of space. I will watch for missing digits, etc. and if the skinny guys seem bullied, I will come up with something.

Natalie

Reaction score
I was thinking after last night about a way of separating them. Now this fella is going on a serious diet!

Attachments

• IMG_20210206_211057859.jpg
    IMG_20210206_211057859.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 207

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I've never had "dominance" issues with fire salamander larvae together. They can get aggressive towards each other's legs and tails if they run out of food. That's why I feed them with live blackworms and always keep some in the water with them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1