Salamandera Laurel and Hardy

Natalie

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I'm sooo excited! I have quintuplet fire salamanders! They are now just over 2 weeks old. I have raised many newt and axolotl larvae, but this is a bit different. No "jumping" for food as I am used to. Actually I don't see them eating at all. One is so fat, I am worried I am overfeeding, one or two are normal, and two or three are extremely skinny. Until now, I only remove dead food, hoping the skinny ones will put weight on. Anything I should be doing differently?

IMG_20210204_133923088.jpg

Nice pics, but are the five in the same tank or separate ones ?
Even with enough food, problems of dominance within caudates are frequent.
Moreover, cannibalistic trends are widespread in Salamandra larvae.
Perhaps the skinny ones would thrive better in separate tanks.

Thanks. I had them outside in the garage separated before, but unfortunately I had to bring them in and put them together as it's just gotten so cold. Most of my other animals are also inside now, so it's a question of space. I will watch for missing digits, etc. and if the skinny guys seem bullied, I will come up with something.

I was thinking after last night about a way of separating them. Now this fella is going on a serious diet!

Attachments

• IMG_20210206_211057859.jpg
    IMG_20210206_211057859.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 210
I've never had "dominance" issues with fire salamander larvae together. They can get aggressive towards each other's legs and tails if they run out of food. That's why I feed them with live blackworms and always keep some in the water with them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back