Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

FYI: Very strange Axolotl color morph...

oceanblue

Reaction score
This remains a very unusual almost reverse leucistic pigment pattern (the legs are dark, the upper surface less pigmented). The nearest similar pattern in fish I have seen is the "Bristol Blue" Shubunkin variety of goldfish which does not breed true but produces some offspring which show a similar pattern. Good luck with the back cross.

Putting on my adopted Welsh hat all the Gareths I know are definitely male. How about a more drastic name change? Anne Bonny was a female pirate so why not Pirate Bonny?

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Yarrrr!

*filler to meet minimum message size!*

Jake

Reaction score
Putting on my adopted Welsh hat all the Gareths I know are definitely male. How about a more drastic name change? Anne Bonny was a female pirate so why not Pirate Bonny?

'Pirate Gareth' is the name I chose because I had a teacher (female) in school whose first name was Gareth, she was Russian though, and Gareth was the closest female name I could get to 'Gary'.

Jake

Reaction score
Re: Very strange color morph...

Thanks Sherylbobbins. I've fallen in love with her too, some wouldn't agree that she's beautiful though, she's been compared to an old piece of cheese.

GeishaExotics

Reaction score

Any updates on this one? I probably missed it somewhere else, since I just joined here, but am curious to see some future offspring! Selling any? Keep me in mind, Im always looking to work with new projects! =)

Jake

Reaction score

Any updates on this one? I probably missed it somewhere else, since I just joined here, but am curious to see some future offspring! Selling any? Keep me in mind, Im always looking to work with new projects! =)

Pirate is alive and well. I might post some new pics soon, but there really hasn't been much change other than size. I havent bred this one yet, but certainly plan to do so. All of the offspring produced I plan to hoard by the hundreds, or maybe sell as normal axolotls, just to be sneaky. I highly doubt that this is a genetic trait, as previously discussed it is more than likely a random phenomenon that I have no control over. I must say though, you definitely aren't the first to ask for offspring from this one;)

azuregirl

Reaction score
wow he/she looks way cool. must see if my two breed and if i get any strange ones like that!

Pirate Gary, aharrr. Me liking the sound of that. Where be me rum? A toast, a toast to Pirate Gary a strange fellow to be sure, ahharr.
:D
(sorry I dont get out much!!):wacko: :p :bowl:

axie girl

Reaction score
He is defenetly awsum about how big is he in centimetres i would love to have one like him.:D

Tim S

Reaction score
I don't think Gary is a pirate. He is more of an X-men (mutant) or should I say X-olotl :rolleyes:

salamandra

Reaction score
You should try and breed you axolotls into that colour as then you have maid your OWN axolotl morph :p

and could make a nice profit as well as having the fun of it

Jake

Reaction score
and could make a nice profit as well as having the fun of it

Having fun IS the profit.

I occasionally sell extra animals, but if you saw my feed bills for the month you'd see why it would be next to impossible for me to turn a profit off selling salamanders.

Also, I think if another one (or hundred) of this color morph were to be created in my basement I'd hold on to it as well;)

Tim S

Reaction score
What has become of Gary's albino sibling from the second spawning? Did this animal show any mottling, even a small spots of pigment?

The fact that Gary's mother produced a single albino offspring should tell us something. What if there is a gene or combination of genes that causes an increase incidence of nondisjuction during mitosis? If this were the case, your animal(s) would be invaluable to science. Alot of what we learn about the inner working of the cell comes from comparing what is normal to that which is abnormal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!