Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

FYI: Very strange Axolotl color morph...

Jake

Reaction score
Please, sir, dig, sir! :p

-Eva

After a week of looking I found these two, I know I have some of younger embryos, but I can't find them right now.

picture.php

picture.php

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
ooh thats interesting, i have never seen anything that before. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

oceanblue

Reaction score
Since chimeras are made by cramming embryonic cells together it seems a trait like this should increase the incidence of chimeras and the variable offspring colouring should reveal some of them.

Your axolotls are imitating scientists!

Did Pirate's mother have a similar trait?

Jake

Reaction score
Since chimeras are made by cramming embryonic cells together it seems a trait like this should increase the incidence of chimeras and the variable offspring colouring should reveal some of them.

Your axolotls are imitating scientists!

Did Pirate's mother have a similar trait?

Pirate's mother did lay some eggs that were bunched together like that, mostly just 2 embryos per membrane though. The female that produced my latest chimeras ( http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59787 ) on the other hand, did not lay any multiples like that.

Jake

Reaction score
Do you have any pictures more recent. He is very interesting!

I know this is old, but would just like to update. Pirate is alive and well and living with a couple out in Iowa. I'll see about getting some pics up soon. I wish I had taken more pictures of her underside to show her black belly!

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Ooh the prospects of seeing pirate's photos again gives me the excited tingles. :p

SwissAxie

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea as to why one set of gills are smaller than the others? It hasn't been kept with others since it was a little over a half inch long, so I know they weren't bitten off.

Hi,

This has been posted a long time ago and you might know now why this is by now ;)

Your axie ist a classic chimera. This occurs when two parts of two different axies fuse in the very early stages of cell development. It's like siamese twins, but exactly 50-50. That is why its gills are not the same on both sides. They would have belonged to two different axolotls, one with long gills and one with short ones.

In Germany, there are more and more chimeras. It seems that there are some lines that produce them more often than others, so there seems to be some hereditary element to this.

What a great animal !

Cheers,
Barbara

Icarez

Reaction score
Thats absolutely stunning... what kind of color are the mother and father of this one?

Could a white lucystic? and a wild type ever have an albino child?

Cheers

e23ho

Reaction score
Absolutely incredible - I'd love to see more as time goes on :). What a stunning creature - makes me wonder if we'd get wild axies like this if we had let the population have its lakes rather than drain and channel them into a critically endangered species..... *sigh*

J

jcj57

Ditto - Just read this thread, are there any updates on Pirate Gareth?

elninca

Reaction score
Pirate is one CRAZAY looking axie... and all I can say is... I want one!!! haha
He looks incredible.

I was thinking the other day - canaries get fed dyes to change their colour... I wonder if axies could do the same thing? on pirate it could be one side red, one side green for christmas! haha :)
OBVIOUSLY I'M JOKING! Don't dye your axies. It's just not friendly. :p

natjobe

Reaction score
I am very sorry to hear she is gone, just saw her for the first time. She was super cool!!
Thanks for sharing her.

SanderB

Reaction score
WOW a piebald axolotl, first time in my live I see one, sad she died. No offsprings with the same mutation?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!